3 days left
- Full Time
The Philadelphia Gay News, one of the oldest and most award-winning LGBT newspapers in the country, seeks an experienced editor who will oversee all facets of the weekly production of PGN’s print and digital publications.
The Editor Role:
- Manage newsroom and graphics staff and freelancers, conceive of and assign story ideas, work with writers on story development, and manage deadlines.
- Edit and proofread all stories (approx. 12 news stories per week, plus columnists and syndicated stories) prior to publication, providing feedback on style, focus, story development, fact-checking, accuracy, consistency, etc.
- Field story pitches and monitor the issues and ideas impacting readers to ensure all areas of the community are represented fairly and accurately.
- Write weekly editorial and assist with the writing and reporting of late-breaking news stories.
In addition to the above the editor will be expected to cultivate relationships with LGBTQ community stakeholders in order to advance readership, as well as conceive of and implement long-range editorial projects to do the same. They will lead PGN’s digital-engagement efforts, including planning and implementing a social-media strategy, utilizing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social-media channels. The editor will be responsible for cultivating a team atmosphere in the newsroom, and will identify and troubleshoot potential issues to ensure departmental deadlines are met. The editor will also be responsible for hiring a staff writer and/or freelancers as needed.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including news writing, editorial writing, and interviewing
- Superior news judgment, ability to work independently, and ability to lead a staff
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Ability to take an active role in marketing content brands
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to execute media strategies
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in journalism, communications, English or a related field
- Minimum of four years writing/editing experience in a newsroom or related organization
- Knowledge of the Philadelphia-area LGBTQ community, including community leaders, organizations, and events
- Experience managing professional social-media accounts, particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with content management systems
- Proficiency in AP style
The Philadelphia Gay News provides a full benefits package including Health, dental, and 401k.
PGN is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to Mark Segal via the link provided.
Apply for Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly