New Product Innovation Director
- Full Time
The role of NPI Director supports the exploration, definition, and ideation of strategic products and concepts by conducting market research, exploring current activity in the segment, and identifying new product opportunities based on unmet needs. The role typically leads and supports the team efforts related to direct reports and indirect reports. The role includes the development of scope design related to the integration of new technologies, specifically computer vision and AI technologies, into concept ideas, business opportunities and how they intersect with existing business segments as a part of the Strategic Product Innovation team.
The key team efforts are focused on determining business-cases and feasibility in the marketplace, product life-cycle alignment and differentiation assessment, hypothesis-driven testing, detailed product planning, and defining business use-cases for products. The team works to explore new and emerging technology areas and how they may connect to the automotive space. The goal of the strategic product innovation team is to ultimately enhance and improve the positioning of cox automotive in the marketplace as it relates to client satisfaction, product differentiation, revenue growth and increased market share while aligning our value-creation activities to client, market, and corporately defined metrics.
1. Seek out, explore, develop, and pilot new concepts and technologies in cutting edge areas including: computer vision, machine learning, natural language processing, LiDAR and others with ambiguous details, minimal oversight, and produce meaningful insights which can be applied to the automotive/mobility space
2. Assess potential partner(s) product and technology positions in the computer vision, machine learning, natural language processing, LiDAR and other cutting-edge technologies to make build/buy/partner decisions for Cox Automotive
3. Develop roadmaps, project plans, business cases, and realization strategies to support recommendations and obtain financial support
4. Lead pilot software development initiatives with internal and external development resources related to computer vision, machine learning, natural language processing, LiDAR and other cutting-edge technologies with the goal of developing features and technology that can be applied to the automotive domain
5. Monitor and anticipate short, med, long-term technology and market trends, climates, and needs that impact disruption in the automotive space. Manage behaviors that support pre-action and reaction to anticipated/forecasted disruption and recommend practical solutions when raising new concepts and issues
6. Develop credibility as a subject matter expert in the computer vision and AI technology fields. Manage strong client and partner relationships while establishing yourself as a trusted advisor. Uphold commitments by listening, capturing clear and concise details, manage timely engagements, and actively follow up to continually foster relationships
7. Work to define and deliver minimum viable products, services, and outputs that are based on AI technologies, grounded hypotheses and opportunity assumptions – prototype, refine, and iterate
8. Navigate efforts using the Jobs-to-be-Done Theory - Outcome-Driven Innovation, Design Thinking and standard project management lifecycle practices based on a needs-first approach
9. Define measurable success criteria and key performance indicators (KPIs) to determine actionable steps in project lifecycle along with what success looks like according to key stakeholders
10. Conduct ongoing sessions focused on client discovery to explore opportunities, product insights, and share information using clear and concise methods with an eye toward actionable recommendations
11. Embody, illustrate, and incorporate a collaborative approach towards sharing of potential solution concepts with team members, organization stakeholders, and business partners
12. All other duties as assigned.
10+ years of relevant experience, with at least 5 yrs experience in leadership role
Experience with Computer Vision and AI technologies to inform product and services roadmaps
Bachelors degree in one of the following areas: Business, Business Administration, Global Business Studies, Economics, Engineering or Computer Science Preferred
Masters Degree, or skills associated with degree studies related to Business Administration, Computer Science and/or Engineering Preferred
Experience utilizing computer vision and AI features to build differentiated products and services
Expertise in highly-matrixed, highly-decentralized product and development teams. Comfortable in engaging in all facets of the organization and across multiple workstreams to support business efforts and common goals using a variety of methods including current web connection tools
Proficient in MS Office tools especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Visio
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
Tenacious and resourceful problem solver with a sense of urgency and tenacity to achieve
Is comfortable and confident working with unknown and undefined theories and being in uncharted territory
Knowledge and experience with outcome-driven innovation along with the Jobs-to-be-Done Theory is a plus
KEY CUSTOMER INTERFACES:
Typical travel required: approximately 25%
About Cox Automotive
Cox Automotive Inc. makes buying, selling and owning cars easier for everyone, while also enabling mobility services. The global company’s 34,000-plus team members and family of brands, including Autotrader®, Clutch Technologies, Dealer.com®, Dealertrack®, Kelley Blue Book®, Manheim®, NextGear Capital®, VinSolutions®, vAuto® and Xtime®, are passionate about helping millions of car shoppers, tens of thousands of auto dealer clients across five continents and many others throughout the automotive industry thrive for generations to come. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises Inc., a privately-owned, Atlanta-based company with revenues exceeding $20 billion. www.coxautoinc.com
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.