Staff Writer - LIVESTRONG
- Full Time
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Staff Writer grows with us.
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach passionate audiences in large and growing lifestyle categories. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of art, design and technology. We want people with an intense curiosity, a commitment to high quality service, who embrace the fun of the journey. Come help us disrupt and transform the digital media and art world!
LIVESTRONG.com is the No. 1 healthy living site, covering fitness, health, food, and lifestyle. We inspire and motivate our readers to make life-changing healthy choices by providing credible and shareable information coupled with helpful apps and an online support community.
We are looking for a Staff Writer who will be an integral part of the editorial team’s mission to improve and build upon LIVESTRONG.com’s vast inventory of high-quality health and wellness content. This position requires strong writing and editing skills as well as a solid understanding of SEO best practices. The Staff Writer is responsible for creating new content as well as updating existing content to ensure readers are getting up-to-date, trustworthy health and wellness information.
You’ll Report To: Managing Editor
- Writing and/or editing 3-5 stories daily
- Working closely with vertical editors to help them create and update content across their sections
- Brainstorming and pitching stories within a defined keyword universe
- Finding, interviewing, and developing relationships with experts in the health and wellness space
- Collaborating and coordinating with the Social Media Manager and Audience Development Manager to ensure content is being promoted across platforms in an effective and engaging way
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of the health and wellness world in order to stay abreast of promising new trends
You’ll be successful in this role if you are passionate about creating high-quality service content that helps readers at all stages of their health and wellness journeys. The Staff Writer is responsible for pitching, writing, revising, and publishing stories on various food, fitness, health, and wellness topics. Information gathering is at the heart of this position: We need someone who knows how to dig and find authoritative primary sources to ensure our content is accurate, clear, and useful.
What You Have:
- 2-3 years writing/editing experience, preferably for a health or lifestyle publication
- Experience writing stories that adhere to SEO best practices
- Experience covering health and science studies (and the ability to translate study-speak into useful takeaways the average reader can understand)
- Experience finding and interviewing health and wellness experts
- Impeccable writing and revising skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage your time productively
- An interest in helping people from all backgrounds live their healthiest, happiest lives
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large.
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. A pleasant and supportive demeanor goes a long way.
What We Have:
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Leaf Group is Comparably's 2017 Best Company for Diversity Award
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Cool office environment and culture
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.