- Full Time
The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is an economic development agency of the federal government and 13 state governments focusing on 420 counties across the Appalachian Region. ARC’s mission is to innovate, partner, and invest to build community capacity and strengthen economic growth in Appalachia to help the Region achieve socioeconomic parity with the nation.
ARC seeks a Press Assistant to coordinate day-to-day press activities, draft press releases, monitor media issues, and maintain a media contact database. This newly created role will develop and cultivate press contacts, develop media pitches, identify appropriate press target lists, and identify hot media topics. Through news monitoring and collaboration with the program team, this position will identify opportunities to draft press releases, media alerts and other amplification opportunities to highlight the Region’s programs and initiatives. This role will also assist the Director with developing and deploying media training and facilitation for the States, grantees and others in the Region.
This position reports to the Communications Division Director.
- Relevant experience in public sector (federal, state or local agency or other economic development organization) strategic communications and press relation functions
- Experience researching and gathering data and information to support specific communications activities such as informing or engaging audiences, especially press and media
- Strong writing skills including the ability to produce innovative materials to inspire interest from those interested in the Region’s activities, programs, and events
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment; bring an energetic, innovative approach to your work
- Successful completion (prior to hire) and maintenance of background security review
- Ability to travel (25%)
The ARC team works collaboratively with our states and development districts to strengthen the future of our communities through investments in areas such as health, entrepreneurship, coal-impacted regions, and infrastructure. ARC offers a collaborative work environment, convenient location near Dupont Circle, and a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, retirement, paid time off, commuting subsidy, professional development, etc. This is not a federal position; however, if a federal employee is selected for this position and transfers without a break in service of more than three calendar days, he or she may be able to continue his or her retirement and life/health insurance benefits.