Deputy Managing Editor, CNBC Make It
Location: New York, New York
Function: Marketing & Communications
Specialty: Digital Marketing, Web Production
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
CNBC Digital is looking to hire a talented editorial leader to develop its lifestyle finance coverage under the NYC-based CNBC Make It brand. CNBC Make It is a fast-growing, consumer-friendly website devoted to aspirational content about success, money, work, and life.
The Deputy Managing Editor will be responsible for managing the site’s popular money section, new e-commerce editorial initiative, and several staff reporters. In this role, the Deputy Managing Editor will also work across the site ideating new editorial series, leading editorial meetings, developing content plans and strategies, and filling in for the Managing Editor when out.
This position should be comfortable using social media for news consumption, newsgathering and discovery. Ideal candidates should excel at teasing out fresh angles to cover. Must have experience editing, line editing and writing with voice. This individual should also have a flair for the fun, creative and unexpected in text, data visualization and multimedia.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Partner with the Managing Editor, setting overall strategy to deliver specialized news content for digital platformsDirectly manage a growing seven-person team, as well as help to steer the overall staffCultivate unique, actionable personal finance content ideas Plan and manage daily operations, including pitch process, deadlines, publishing and personnel schedulesEnsure tone and mix of stories is in line with editorial strategy and standards Read widely and monitor and stay ahead of the competitionTrack and meet target metric goals (UVs, impressions, retention, etc)
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent professional experience
• At least 8 years of editing/writing/reporting experience primarily for a digital news platform
• At least 3 years in a managerial capacity leading a team of journalists
• Strong writing skills and news judgment, experience in financial journalism and interest or experience in personal finance and investing topics
• Must be a skilled editor with outstanding communication abilities
• Working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools
• Experience managing multifaceted projects
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY
• Experience on social media platforms
• Someone who will behave like a site owner, have big ideas and the courage to voice them
• A nimble understanding of the changing digital media landscape. Passionate and curious about “what’s next” in digital and proactively push the organization to develop systems that will keep up with the evolving ways that people get their news
• Excellent teamwork and leadership skills, strong work ethic and passion
• Proven ability to come up with creative concepts
• Detail-oriented problem solver who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment under news deadlines
• Someone with a strong desire to develop creatively
• Ability to think big, outside the box, and to take direction and feedback
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
With CNBC in the U.S., CNBC in Asia Pacific, CNBC in Europe, Middle East and Africa, CNBC World and CNBC HD, CNBC is the recognized world leader in business news and provides real-time financial market coverage and business information to approximately 371 million homes worldwide, including more than 100 million households in the United States and Canada. CNBC also provides daily business updates to 400 million households across China. The network's 15 live hours a day of business programming in North America (weekdays from 4:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. ET) is produced at CNBC's global headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., and includes reports from CNBC News bureaus worldwide. CNBC at night features a mix of new reality programming, CNBC's highly successful series produced exclusively for CNBC and a number of distinctive in-house documentaries.
CNBC also has a vast portfolio of digital products which deliver real-time financial market news and information across a variety of platforms. These include CNBC.com, the online destination for global business; CNBC PRO, the premium, integrated desktop/mobile service that provides real-time global market data and live access to CNBC global programming; and a suite of CNBC Mobile products including the CNBC Real-Time iPhone and iPad Apps.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.