Associate Editor, Production
- Full Time
The Associate Editor, Production, oversees quality control and timelines for NACUBO’s monthly magazine, manages the production process with the graphic designer, and serves as the liaison to the printer. In doing so, the Associate Editor, Production, ensures that the publication adheres to deadlines, with content produced in accordance with strict editorial standards and style rules. The Associate Editor, Production, formats magazine content for the website. In addition, the Associate Editor, Production, assigns or develops features and departments, and copyedits manuscripts. The incumbent reports to the Editor in Chief.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• For NACUBO’s monthly magazine, develops and implements operational processes, quality-control measures, and production timelines. Also serves as staff liaison with the magazine printer and handles mailing/postage.
• Coordinates the trafficking of manuscripts between editing and production/design, evaluating and revising draft layouts from the freelance designer, and proofreading pages as needed.
• Formats and posts online magazine content and manages changes needed to online magazine pages.
• Monitors feedback on the online publication of Business Officer through Web usage analysis.
• In conjunction with NACUBO staff, develops the magazine’s online and digital presence based on NACUBO’s overall direction. Explores ways to increase online readership.
• Keeps abreast of trends in newspaper and magazine publishing as they relate to the digital world.
• Maintains monthly magazine editorial calendar; manages calendar and article tracking for the July-August double issue. Initiates monthly head-and-deck review and assists with art selection for feature layouts.
• Assigns or develops features and departments, working with staff and member content contributors. Performs substantive editing, copyedits manuscripts, and routes manuscripts for review. Works in accordance with established magazine processes and procedures, high quality standards, strict style rules, and deadlines.
• Corresponds with and handles requests from members, staff, freelancers, and vendors.
• Performs administrative functions for the magazine, including responding to phone calls and e-mail, scheduling meetings and coordinating logistics, coordinating mailings and deliveries, maintaining the magazine inventory and coordinating internal distribution, keying in edits, maintaining files, processing and tracking copyright forms, and maintaining the magazine style guide.
• Attends NACUBO events to stay on top of higher education issues and develop relationships with members.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Customer/Member Focus
2. Project Management
3. Technical/Professional Knowledge
This position works in a professional office environment. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and copiers.
This position works in a climate-controlled environment, but internal office temperatures may fluctuate.
To perform the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee may frequently be required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to type, handle or feel, and reach with arms and hands.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time regular position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. There may be occasional evening and weekend work as job duties or projects require it.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, however, some out of the area travel and overnight may be expected.
• A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in journalism.
• Three to four years editing and project management experience, preferably with association publications.
• Demonstrated competence in substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
• Competency in working in a content management system and proficiency in Web analytics.
• Competency in overseeing operations with an organized, efficient system.
• Competency in working with style manuals.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Excel, and the ability to become proficient quickly with new software.
• Ability to assess the editorial value of manuscripts and make recommendations for manuscript enhancement.
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent business writing skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines.
• Ability to juggle multiple assignments and to shift priorities in a fast-paced environment.