Director, Editorial Strategy
- Full Time
WHAT WE’RE DOING?
The Digital Social Media (DSM) team at HBO is growing as we evolve our marketing to keep up with changing consumer behaviors. We have an exceptional Digital and Social Media team with focus areas in digital & social marketing, production, design, media, analytics and customer lifecycle marketing. We impact the competitive space by focusing on fan engagement via social platforms, driving tune-in and marketing technology, emerging tech (AI, AR and VR experiences) and creating captivating consumer activations tied to our programming and the HBO brand. As marketing becomes more reliant on data to reach consumers with targeted messaging, we are injecting new skills into our organization that will arm us with insights and creative intelligence about those who follow us and love the stories we tell.
Our DSM team has won significant awards including: Interactive Emmys, Cannes Lions, Webbys, PromaxBDA, Clios, Shortys and many more.
Department – Consumer Marketing, Digital Social Media
Role – Director
HBO is looking for a Director of Digital Editorial Strategy to support digital marketing efforts for its original programming.
A key position within the digital and social marketing team, this role reports to the Vice President, Digital and Social Media. The ideal candidate is a stellar team player with a proven ability to deliver across numerous digital platforms simultaneously. S/he is hyper-enthusiastic and up-to-date on ever-evolving digital and social media trends. S/he is equal parts able to identify how HBO content translates perfectly into the digital and social space as where digital and social trends and analytics can inspire marketing for HBO programming. S/he is a storyteller at heart, with a track-record of results and innovation.
- Oversee all content initiatives across editorial types and digital platforms in support of HBO’s programming.
- Supervise the strategy, writing and execution of content, including interviews, articles, copy, event coverage and varied marketing messaging.
- Strategize unique approaches reflective of the tone and subject matter of our programming; ensure content quality and cohesion as it applies to each program.
- Provide creative oversight of emerging technology initiatives as related to our programming, including voice skills/actions, VR, AR and machine-learning-based projects.
- Represent HBO creative in relationships with agencies, partners, transmedia producers, programmers and other talent.
- Manage video production across the digital space including strategizing, briefing, creative production and helping define release strategies.
- Develop new editorial and production workflows to create a more seamless tone of voice across digital platforms and routinely evaluate publishing guidelines.
- Leverage available data to improve upon content experiences and editorial strategy.
- Take a lead role in one-on-one management of direct reports, including career development and talent retention efforts.
- Assist the VP of Digital Marketing in department-wide resource assignments and planning (including staffing and budget).
- Oversee a team of editorial staffers and freelance writers who can contribute to the overall editorial output across channels.
- Experienced at generating content strategy and publishing high-quality marketing activations with at least 8 years of relevant (i.e. media rich) interactive experiences. Multi-platform output is a must.
- Demonstration of strong editorial judgment, a high standard of journalistic ethics and a forward-thinking attitude.
- Self-directed, proactive, organized, efficient, detail-oriented, unassailable focus on the basics, tenacious (persistent about bringing open items/projects to closure), accountable, enthusiastic, able to lead, motivate and drive.
- Ability to balance multiple, competing directions, identify and delegate tasks effectively and manage multiple projects successfully.
- Strong communication (written, verbal, presentation) and influence-management skills essential; can collaborate effectively and efficiently.
- Process minded and adept at operational effectiveness and problem solving.
- Passionate about television, media and cross platform storytelling.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and to deliver to budget.
- Values efficiency; capable of driving change when applicable.
- Excellent editorial skills; ability to write in diverse voices and tones.
- Knowledge of television production cycles is a plus.
What we look for in candidates: curiosity, business acumen, strong story-telling abilities, strong work ethic, innovative thinking, passion and good energy
- We’re serious about cultivating, nurturing and growing talent
- We value accountability, fairness, hard work and curiosity
- We’re fun, diverse and passionate about doing good work
- We’re out-of-the-box thinkers and doers
Benefits/perks: comprehensive health + wellness plans, generous matching 401K, cable reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO, on-site fitness center, on-site health center, on-site cafeteria advanced employee screenings.