Associate, Media Relations
5 days left
- Full Time
We’re looking for an Associate to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Media Relations Practice Area.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Developing media lists and implementing day-to-day press outreach, aggressively pitching local, regional, and select national media
- Drafting media materials such as fact sheets, press releases, and media advisories
- Media monitoring - tracking client news and sharing coverage with the client
- Supporting earned media strategies with research and analysis for pitch or outreach plan development, media audits, spokesperson identification, etc.
- Tracking and creating regular reports measuring our results against key metrics
- Project management: Keep task lists, meetings agendas and notes, and work reports across your clients
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities
Skills and experiences you should have:
- 1-3 years of media relations experience.
- Experience writing PR materials such as press releases and media advisories and performing tasks such as developing media lists and conducting media monitoring.
- Ability to secure press hits in local, regional, DC and national media.
- Acute attention to detail - you don’t drop the ball.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Ability to set goals and drive toward them - you are unrelenting in pursuit of that next press hit.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Thoughtfulness, empathy, and self-awareness. You go out of your way to help others and look out for your colleagues.
- Passion for the role that media relations plays in creating change in the world. You are excited by the idea of working across many issues.
- Recognition that feedback is a part of learning and growth and are committed to both seeking and receiving feedback.
- Preference to work in a team. You are able to do the hard work of seeing things from others’ perspectives.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution. You don’t wait for others to notice issues or assume someone else will fix it.
- You bring a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
Salary, benefits and some perks:
- This is a non-exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Free lunch once a week!
- Weekly brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits depending on which office you’re in. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap.
The fine print:
The position could be located in one of the following offices:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
11 Park Place, New York, NY
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!