Senior Editor, Third-Party Content
- Full Time
Law360, a LexisNexis company, is an online newswire for business lawyers that covers major litigation, transactions, and regulatory issues.
We are seeking a senior editor to join our Third-Party Content team in New York City.
The senior editor is responsible for:
- Curating guest sections in multiple newsletters spanning diverse practice specialties
- Searching for sources and networking with attorneys to write guest articles on a daily basis
- Formatting and editing articles for in-house and AP style, structure and logic
- Crafting feature-style headlines and leads that attract the most readers possible without misrepresenting author assertions, opinions, intentions, etc.
- Developing special article series from multiple organizations on a singular theme
- Publishing Q&As and videos
- Executing licensing agreements with guest authors
- Working with other guest editors to improve content/processes
- Ordering guest content in newsletters at end of day as needed
The senior editor also devotes a portion of each day to improving the quality of Law360 guest content. In the interest of making every article we publish the best it can be, this includes:
- Reviewing the team's guest articles for formatting issues, tags, photos, etc.
- Reviewing the team's article heds/ledes for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and tagging elements
- Reviewing the team's article heds/ledes for logic, tone, timeliness, and general reader appeal, and working with other guest editors to resolve these issues
- At least 4 years of experience editing content for Law360 (or comparable editing experience with a news outlet, law firm, or government agency)
- Understanding of legal industry and law firm culture
- Excellent judgment regarding potential news coverage topics and viable guest authors
- Ability to juggle multiple articles spanning diverse legal specialties on a daily basis
- Strong writing and editing skills, and experience crafting headlines and leads
- Ability to quickly synthesize and distill complex legal issues for a corporate law audience
- Ability to consistently follow the news cycle and track issues
- Ability to communicate with authors to resolve editorial problems with logic, tone, structure, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with a small team of editors
- Experience networking with attorney-authors to produce articles is a plus
Qualified candidates will be asked to complete writing and reporting tests electronically.
Law360 offers extensive training on legal topics. Business or legal reporting experience is not required. However, professional reporting experience and strong writing and analytical skills are required to succeed in this job.