Editorial Director, ADL Education
- Full Time
ADL EDU, the education division of ADL (formerly the Anti–Defamation League), is the largest provider of anti–bias and bullying prevention resources and curriculum for K12 educators and a leading provider of anti–bias training and support for post-secondary institutions and workplaces. We are educators and experts committed to promoting respectful and civil environments in schools and communities based on principles of equity, inclusion and diversity.
We seek an experienced, energetic, multi-talented editorial professional to join our geographically–distributed team. The goal of our editorial mission is to extend the impact of ADL EDU’s publicly–accessible content through strategic curation and calendaring, thematic direction, content personalization via CMS/CRM, the expansion of our pool of contributors, and tracking web-based metrics to monitor reach and engagement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish goals for the staff and freelance editorial team, manage workflow and budget, and source and manage contract writers.
- Develop, enunciate, and manage the thematic direction, writing, editing and publication of non-curricular ADL educational content to initiate and increase engagement with ADL programs.
- Create engagement funnels that utilize personalized content flows to draw each audience member in more deeply, more frequently, and over longer periods of time.
- Provide strong leadership and a collaborative environment to build and supervise a team of in-house and contracted writers and SMEs for all Teaching & Learning functions.
- In close collaboration with Education Marketing, establish and manage an editorial calendar for posting digital content that targets diverse audiences (K-12 and post-secondary educators, students, school administrators, school staff and family members; workplace employees and managers; and, general public).
- Provide final approval and editorial guidance for style, grammar, consistency and length of digital content.
- Curate content so that it strengthens identity and recognition of ADL’s signature, research-based programs and resources on anti-bias, bullying prevention, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Deeply integrate website analytics to inform editorial choices.
- Use templates and CMS to publish content.
- Initiate and manage content partnerships that extend our reach.
- Monitor emerging trends, current events, educational practices, and resources in the field of anti-bias, diversity, equity and inclusion education and training.
- Maintain an overview of the competitive landscape and best practices of data-driven personalized editorial content.
- Provide peer review, feedback and editorial support as required.
Contributors, vendors, subject–matter experts and colleagues as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, English, journalism, education or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in roles with increasing responsibility for editing, curating and publishing educational content, content marketing and maintaining an editorial calendar.
- Demonstrated experience using CRM/CMS/publishing/asset management systems to drive growth
- Demonstrated experience using analytics platforms to design and iterate editorial strategy and tactics.
- Demonstrated experience managing writers, SMEs, external partners and vendors.
- Demonstrated experience managing virtual teams.
- Demonstrated ability to respond quickly, flexibly and generatively to current events and changing requirements.
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills.
- Absolute comfort with Google Docs, Slack, Zoom, and other distributed–team platforms.
- Experience with anti-bias, bullying prevention, social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion topics.
- Graduate degree in communication, English, journalism, education or related field.
- Experience selecting content, writing and publishing for a variety of audiences.
- Experience with design–thinking and/or rapid prototyping environments.