1911 Senior Manager, Media Relations –
7 days left
- Full Time
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Sr. Manager for Media Relations to join the office of Government Relations and Public Affairs. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
A key member of the Government Relations and Public Affairs team, the Sr. Manager for Media Relations is an experienced communications professional who has existing relationships with journalists covering international affairs and foreign policy. The incumbent will respond to media inquiries and media coverage of the NED, will pursue opportunities to promote the work of the Endowment and its partners, and will encourage coverage that advances the importance of democratic development in general. Reporting to the Sr. Director for Public Affairs, the incumbent will work closely with the public affairs team as well as NED leadership, regional teams, and various NED initiatives to design and implement a media outreach strategy that will effectively communicate NED’s mission and encourage accurate and positive media coverage of the Endowment.
- Serve as a spokesperson for NED with media and outside organizations.
- Develop and execute a media relations outreach plan for traditional and social media, including working closely with Sr. Dir. for Public Affairs, Sr. Manager for Digital Strategy, as well as other communications stakeholders at NED.
- Build relationships with domestic & international print, broadcast, and digital media reporters, editors, and producers. Maintain detailed contact lists of relevant outlets, journalists, and interests.
- Draft press materials, including talking points, press advisories and releases, op-eds, and memos in support of communications plans and goals.
- Coordinate and support media engagements for NED staff and grantees.
- Monitor risks and opportunities to advance NED’s position and brand.
- Provide ongoing media and communications support and training to NED staff and grantees.
- Work with the VP of GRPA to manage NED’s Penn Kemble Fellowship program.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 5+ years of professional experience in media, communications or public relations, preferably with exposure to U.S.-based foreign affairs and national security reporters and international news media and reporters.
- Other Qualifications:
- Experience with media placements and working with reporters, editors, editorial boards, columnists, bloggers, bookers, and thought leaders;
- Exceptional writing skills for both press and general audiences; writing should be sharp, personable, and memorable; ability to write in the voice of others;
- Familiarity and aptitude with using social media as an earned media tool;
- Keen political judgment and ability to anticipate how others will respond to our work;
- Ability to work evening events once or twice per month;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work independently, juggling competing priorities with strict deadlines;
- Proven track record as a self-starter;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Attention to detail.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, op-ed writing sample (600-800 words), salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please, no phone calls; Email with 1911 SR. Mgr. GRPA – YOUR NAME in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org.