- Full Time
We are currently looking for an experienced Editor on our Content Team. This is a great opportunity to edit and create smart, fun articles on a wide range of subjects (including pop culture, sports, video games, history, true crime, comics, shopping, etc.) everyday for a leading entertainment website, which also happens to be among the top 50 websites in the United States. Don't take our word for it, check it out at https://www.quantcast.com/top-sites.
Despite all that traffic, we do this with a small, talented team of about 20 editors and about 80 freelance writers who love creating compelling, varied content on a daily basis. We built up our traffic the right way, by creating lists and stories that people love reading and sharing steadily over almost the course of nearly a decade. Here are some examples of lists we create:
Want to be part of our editorial team? Here’s how you’ll know if you’re going to love this job:
First, what’s in it for you:
- This isn't a freelance gig. It's a full time job with regular salary paid twice a month, as well as benefits and potential for equity.
- Speaking of benefits, we offer fully-paid medical, plus heavily subsidized voluntary dental and vision plans, 10 paid holidays, and additional days of paid time off per year.
- Very casual workplace (no one has ever worn a suit to work) with a fully stocked kitchen including plentiful free snacks; we also do catered lunch and breakfast weekly, along with free massages every week.
- Located conveniently in the Mid-Wilshire district, minutes from Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile, and the 10 Freeway.
- Daily collaboration with a smart, talented, and funny group of editors, writers, and social media professionals in a writer-friendly environment (ie quiet).
- Opportunity to ideate, refine, assign, and edit lists to freelance writers to producing clever, funny, A-list quality work, following each piece through its life cycle on social media and in search traffic.
Who we believe will do great in this role:
All our successful Editors have been able to hit the ground running, showing initiative and passion for the editorial process. Realistically, you’ll have to have:
- At least 5 years of actual commercial editing experience, ideally for a fast-paced, content-driven website, responsible for generating several articles a day in entertainment, viral, video games, culture, horror, and/or other relevant verticals.
- Experience assigning and managing assignments, especially with multiple freelance writers.
- Photo skills - picking great images, cropping, etc. Creative Photoshop skills a plus.
- Broad entertainment knowledge in celebrity, music, sports, games, comics is a major plus.
- We are only considering applicants who are currently based in Los Angeles - this is an in-office position, high-touch content editing role. We will not consider candidates who are not currently in the Los Angeles area.
- Please keep in mind that this is a content writing/editing job - those looking for video should please check out our other positions.
- If you don’t have any commercial experience, and/or you’re not currently in Los Angeles, we would strongly suggest you check out our open freelance writer jobs that we have posted on our site at http://blog.ranker.com/jobs.
If this sounds exciting, here's what we need from you:
- At least 3 writing and/or editorial samples you’re proud of, as well as (if applicable) links to any social media properties you've helped program (you can put these links in your portfolio, or include them in your cover letter).
- A cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above. And yes, we are looking at your cover letter to get an idea of your writing style, so smart, thoughtful, and clever letters really stand out.
- As we are a site with lists about literally everything, we like editors who know a lot about a lot of things. In your cover letter please list any areas of expertise you have, from the broad to the pretty granular.
**SORRY, NO RECRUITERS**
Ranker will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.