- Full Time
The Production Manager handles all aspects of print production for assigned Front List books and products. The Production Manager is responsible for sourcing, manufacturing, and quality control of Sterling’s Front List and partners with outside vendors as well as various departments within Sterling Publishing; including Art & Design, Acquisitions Editorial, Production Editorial, Marketing, Special Sales, and Inventory–ensuring customer satisfaction from creative kickoff to final delivery and distribution. Requires substantial daily interaction with both international and domestic vendors.
Essential Functions :
- Handle all aspects of Print Production for 4C, 1C & 2C book product and book-plus, including: estimating, scheduling, buying prepress services & color correcting, manufacturing, communicating & negotiating prices with vendors.
- Work with internal teams and external suppliers to build effective relationships and deliver quality product according to manufacturing specifications on schedule and within the approved budget.
- Negotiate, review, and secure print estimates for competitive pricing and profitability (margin).
- Consult with Editorial Design departments on creative concept exploration and feasibility in the book development process.
- Oversee color correcting process; understands color management and color correcting procedures.
- Route proofs and dummies; updates schedules in the database; plays pivotal role to effectively communicate changes to internal teams and external vendors.
- Maintain production schedules and create Purchase Orders in Title Management system; maintain estimated cost records in Vista.
- Follow established procedures aligned with measuring departmental and vendor KPIs.
- Engage in cost-savings initiatives to advance departmental goals and objectives.
- Review and approve Production invoices for accuracy to quotes, reconciling against approved expenses.
- Handles other special projects as assigned.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 5-7 years prior Production experience within book publishing.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Exceptional project manager who can prioritize effectively and adapt to changing needs.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and meet deadlines on consistent basis.
- Experience with 4/c color management a MUST.
- Thorough understanding of book making processes, including knowledge of estimating, purchasing, overseas and domestic printing processes.
- Exceptional negotiation skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with safety testing and compliance and understanding of International Regulatory Product Compliance a plus.
- Experience with Title Management & Vista a plus.