- Full Time
The New York Post is looking for a new Editorial Board member to help produce the PostOpinion section, primarily by drafting daily editorials on local and national issues.
The ideal candidate will have experience in opinion journalism as well print and/or Web production, with deep knowledge of New York, US and world history and politics, a comprehensive understanding of current issues on all three levels and of right-of-center schools of thought on those issues.
- Drafting about one editorial a day.
- Generating ideas and “angles” for editorials, including by (on a rotating basis) preparing a morning list of likely topics.
- Assisting in producing the daily Fast Takes feature, a roundup of interesting commentary in other outlets.
- Helping to fill in for the Letters editor during vacations.
- Preparing some copy for Web publication.
- Contributing to the PostOpinion social-media feed.
- Weighing in as full member of Editorial Board – meeting with guests, exchanging views on issues, etc.
- Strategic as well as tactical thinking on all these fronts.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Prefer 8-12 years prior related experience in opinion journalism.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal skills.
- Sufficient “numeracy” to understand/address technical issues related to content.
- Familiarity with Wordpress, Merlin, Methode (print production) a plus.
New York Post is an EOE.