- Full Time
Character Lab is looking for a Communications Specialist. Reporting to our Director of Communications (Ryan Dobran), the Communications Specialist will support Character Lab’s overall branding, communications, and outreach strategy. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly meticulous and creative individual to have tremendous impact by producing engaging messaging and bringing to light the work we’re doing to advance the science and practice of character development.
In this role, you’ll help manage our editorial calendar, including our “Thought of the Week” series and the production of our Playbooks (evidence-based resources on building character in kids). As we continuously seek new ways to promote our research, you’ll get to write creative copy for social media, landing pages, and media kits/press releases, all while ensuring Character Lab brand and messaging stay consistent across channels. You will also manage relevant vendor and consultant relationships, making sure we’re leveraging external resources effectively.
The ideal candidate has strong aptitudes in both copy writing and editing, is adept at project management, continually seeks to increase efficiency and improve processes, and has a laser-focused attention to detail. If you’re excited to contribute to a dynamic team in a fast-paced startup environment, we’d love to hear from you!
About Character Lab
Character Lab is a nonprofit devoted to advancing the science and practice of character development. We were founded in 2012 by two educators (Dave Levin and Dominic Randolph) and one scientist (Angela Duckworth) who see character development as essential to helping all children thrive.
Our research has shown that success and well-being depend on a multitude of strengths that are organized into three dimensions: interpersonal, intrapersonal, and intellectual. Interpersonal strengths like gratitude and empathy enable caring relationships with other people; intrapersonal strengths like grit and growth mindset enable achievement; and intellectual strengths like curiosity and humor enable a fertile life of the mind.
To advance the science of character development, Character Lab connects leading psychologists with middle and high schools across the country. To advance the practice of character development, Character Lab translates research findings into Playbooks, instructional materials co-created with scientists, educators, and designers.
Our culture is both challenging (we’re never done improving) and supportive (one of our core values is excessive generosity). We are a small team working under one roof.
- Report to and work collaboratively with our Director of Communications to execute on our communications strategy
- Manage our editorial calendar and the production cycle of Playbooks, including coordinating with guest authors
- Manage our website, including creating and updating pages. Wordpress experience preferred.
- Analyze the success of our actionable advice across channels: website, email, and social media
- Write creatively across a variety of communications channels, including landing pages, social media, press releases, and media kits
- Manage relationships with external vendors and freelance designers/developers
- Leverage tools to support communications efforts (e.g. Sprout Social, MailChimp)
- Support the communications team in improving processes and systems
- Provide both copy writing and copy editing support
- Coordinate media opportunities for senior leadership
- Stay up-to-date with communications and outreach trends and best practices
- Ensure the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of all communications deliverables
- Ensure a consistent and coherent brand message across all media
- Work with senior leadership on additional communications projects as needed
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in English, other humanities, or communications
- 1-3 years of relevant writing, communications, marketing, and/or public relations experience (recent graduates welcome to apply)
- Demonstrated track record of success writing across multiple media channels
- Adept at analyzing communications metrics to evaluate success
- Prior experience working with scientific or highly technical information a plus
- Prior experience leveraging communications/marketing tools and platforms preferred (e.g. Wordpress, MailChimp, Sprout Social, or similar tools)
- Prior experience managing external vendors or consultants a plus
- Design experience, particularly with Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator), a plus
- Exceptional interpersonal communication and writing skills, facing a variety of audiences
- A natural inclination toward thoroughness and attention to detail, in order to maintain our high quality of work
- Comfort working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Fierce work ethic and sense of purpose
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Prolonged and irregular hours of duty, as necessary
- Some light to medium level of manual labor (e.g., preparing mailings, moving boxes of materials)
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary is commensurate with an individual’s experience and skills. All full-time employees receive a comprehensive benefits package.