- Full Time
Poets & Writers Magazine is an award-winning bimonthly magazine for the creative writing community. The leading journal of its kind, it enjoys a readership of 100,000 and a robust online presence. It is published by Poets & Writers, a nonprofit organization formed in 1970 to help creative writers and the literary community nationwide.
The associate editor is a key member of the editorial team and is responsible for providing vital editorial support for our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine, and our website, pw.org. The associate editor reports to the editor in chief. This is a full-time position in our New York City office; we offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
- Researching, writing and updating the Grants & Awards and Conferences & Residencies section of Poets & Writers Magazine and the corresponding databases at pw.org.
- Assigning, editing, and/or writing articles and essays for the News & Trends department of each issue, as well as researching and soliciting artwork and photographs for the section.
- Preparing online content associated with News & Trends article for each issue’s web close.
- Reviewing Grants & Awards for each issue’s web close; reviewing the addition of Deadlines and Conferences & Residencies listings to the databases and styling and linking the online Recent Winners page.
- Contributing to the writing of G&A: The Contest Blog; maintaining Prize Reporter Twitter feed.
- Reading and evaluating submissions. Contributing to and editing exclusive content at pw.org when appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least three years of experience editing for print and/or online magazines.
- Excellent journalistic writing, developmental editing, and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, especially in InDesign, Photoshop, and Drupal content management.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook).
- Familiarity with literary community and interest in contemporary literature.
- Professional, cooperative, enthusiastic attitude.
To apply, click "Apply" send résumé and cover letter. Attachments must be .pdf, .doc, or .rtf files; other file types will not be opened. No calls, please.
Poets & Writers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.