Freelance Contributor - Sports Writer
The Daily Dot is the web’s most comprehensive source for original reporting, reviews, and news about streaming entertainment. Our content reaches 12 million readers each month.
The Daily Dot’s Upstream section is dedicated to helping readers figure out what to watch online and how to do so. To that end, we’re looking for a sports writer who can preview upcoming events for everything from the Masters and La Liga to UFC and the NBA playoffs. Our ideal candidate can report with authority, clarity, and great attention to detail. This is a freelance opportunity (flexible hours, not full-time).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Write informational guides for various live sporting events and related content
- Optimize each article for maximum search potential
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have at least 2 years of journalism experience
- You have familiarity with the Daily Dot brand, sports, and major streaming entertainment services
- You are skilled in multitasking and prioritizing in a rapidly changing environment
- You are comfortable in a small, intense and fast-growing start-up/entrepreneurial setting
- You are fluent in AP Style and in-house style guidelines
- You have familiarity with best practices for SEO
- You are available approximately 15-20 (daytime) hours per week
- Experience working as part of a virtual team a plus
- Include a résumé, three clips, and a cover letter that briefly highlights your SEO experience and experience with sports and/or streaming entertainment writing.
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each contributor consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to all involved when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees/freelancers and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.