1913 Communications and Online Engagement Manager, World Movement for Democracy
- Full Time
National Endowment for Democracy (NED)
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a federally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization. Each year, we make more than 1,600 grants to support the projects of non-governmental groups abroad who are working for democratic goals in more than 90 countries. We seek a creative and energetic Communications and Online Engagement Manager to help lead outreach efforts for the World Movement for Democracy, a global network of activists, scholars, policy makers and funders dedicated to advancing democracy. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Communications and Online Engagement Manager will build an active, online community among the World Movement’s participants; tell the stories of and engender solidarity with democracy and human rights activists; draw attention to emerging challenges to democracy around the world; disseminate information and resources on issues of thematic focus; and raise the profile of the network.
- Digital Communications
- Develop and oversee the World Movement’s communications strategy including but not limited to facilitating online discussions, delivering information resources, building solidarity among network participants, and enabling participants to share experiences and strategies for advancing democracy;
- Ensure timely and consistent dissemination of information, outcomes, and resources related to ongoing initiatives;
- Manage World Movement’s online platforms including websites, social media channels, and others as needed;
- Develop and lead production of print and digital materials, videos, infographics, microsites, and others as needed;
- Work with the World Movement team to conceptualize, develop, and manage projects in line with the World Movement’s overall mission;
- Manage strategy and outreach efforts for the Set Them Free initiative, a solidarity building campaign for political prisoners;
- Oversee the tracking and production of digital metrics reports on a quarterly basis; and,
- Lead communications-related procurement projects and coordinate with NED Finance staff to ensure procurement compliance.
- Events and Biennial Assemblies
- Lead the development and implementation of communication strategies for World Movement events including its biennial Global Assemblies;
- Work closely with team members to develop and maintain the Assembly microsite and to communicate with invitees before, during and following Assemblies; and
- Provide onsite event management support.
- Supervise a Project Assistant and interns.
- 5+ years of work experience with progressively increasing responsibility in the field of communications, public relations, and/or advocacy; and,
- BA degree in communication, international affairs or related area of study required (MA strongly preferred).
- Proficiency in computer programs, including word processing, spreadsheet, email, presentation software, etc.;
- Budget and accounting skills;
- Other Qualifications:
- Substantial knowledge of global political developments, particularly regarding democratization, advocacy, and civil society, with sound judgment regarding politically sensitive issues and contexts;
- Experience in project development, management, and implementation, including financial management;
- Experience in building relationships with project partners and funders; and,
- Contract negotiation skills and ability to manage multiple vendors;
- Proficiency in one or more languages, other than English, preferred; and,
- Experience in digital media marketing and social entrepreneurship is a plus;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Proven leadership ability with a profound commitment to teamwork capable of managing multiple tasks under pressure and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment;
- High degree of organization and initiative, with attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
Please click here to apply. Applications must include a cover letter, resume, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone calls. write – YOUR NAME in the subject line.