Guide Calendar Editor
- Full Time
Guide and Calendar Editor
Desert Publications Inc. — publisher of Palm Springs Life and other luxury lifestyle magazines, visitor guides, and custom media — seeks a Guide/Calendar Editor.
The full-time, in-house Guide/Calendar Editor oversees the monthly Guide publication as well as all calendars for digital and print. For The Guide, the editor generates story ideas, writes and assigns articles, copyedits content, and collaborates with the art director on photography and proofing. For the calendars, the editor aggregates, writes, copyedits, and fact-checks event information for the online calendars, regularly crafting event posts through WordPress, applying SEO keywords, and exporting customized calendars for a range of print publications, especially The Guide, as well as digital applications, such as e-newsletters and website roundups.
The editor has a keen understanding of the Coachella Valley and the area’s signature events and is responsible for developing relationships with local businesses, organizations, and PR firms to maintain a regular flow of finely tuned calendar entries and story ideas for digital and print platforms.
- Assign and write monthly content across all platforms
- Maintain and expand contact lists of event-producing organizations
- Execute an outreach schedule to ensure our calendars are top of mind among event producers
- Write, copyedit (line and content), and fact-check event listings using DPI style guidelines
- Enter event listings into CMS / WordPress and SEO keywords
- Prepare customized data (calendar) exports for a variety of uses and platforms
Education and Skill Requirements:
- Minimum five years’ writing and editing experience required, preferably at a magazine
- Outstanding copyediting/rewriting, organizational, and time-management skills
- Fine aesthetic sensibilities, solid story judgment
- Proficiency in AP style and Microsoft Office, familiarity with digital content management, SEO, InDesign, and Photoshop
- Ability to plan print and web content in tandem
- Ability to thrive in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment
- Bachelor’s degree in, journalism, communication, or English preferred
Email cover letter, resume, and work samples to email@example.com.