Senior Managing Editor
- Full Time
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC
The managing editor oversees the copyediting, proofreading, and trafficking of the Imprint winter, spring, and fall lists, including picture books, fiction, and nonfiction titles and their related sales materials. Production-edits approximately 30 titles per year, collaborating with the copy chief to assign the remaining titles on each season to production editors and working with those production editors to ensure timely delivery of all materials. Inputs metadata into the title management system (Biblio) at acquisition and maintains from that point, keeping all necessary departments updated on changes. Approves text and cover/jacket materials before printing, ensuring quality is maintained. Runs production meetings and works with the editorial, design, and production departments to make decisions on scheduling issues.
• Work with publisher and senior executive managing editor to finalize seasons and prepare materials for scheduling meetings, seasonal presentations, and pricing meetings.
• Enter and maintain key metadata for all titles.
• Handle all production editorial tasks on approximately 30 new titles per year. Keep books on schedule while juggling multiple projects at once.
• Recruit and evaluate new freelancers. Monitors the quality of freelance work and, in tandem with the senior executive managing editor and copy chief, set and maintain guidelines for house style. Evaluate invoices, negotiate fees, and make suggestions for hiring freelancers.
• Prepare manuscripts for design and typesetting.
• Check author and proofreader revisions have been made correctly.
• Copyedit and proofread indexes, jacket/cover copy, and other material, including a variety of advertising, promotional, and marketing materials.
• Maintain consistent style within each work.
• Work with editors and designers to anticipate and solve issues.
• Work closely with the managing editors to develop new or improved workflows and procedures, particularly with regard to emerging technologies.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills. Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects at once.
• Organize or schedule other people and their tasks effectively.
• Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Track Changes and electronic copyediting.
• Must have at least two years of relevant experience at another trade publisher. Must have children’s book experience, including working on titles from picture books through young adult fiction and nonfiction. Experience of working with licensed titles preferred.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree