Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Reporting to the Senior Editor, the Associate Editor must be able to take independent responsibility for journals. S/he must manage the pipeline to ensure it is growing: travel to conferences and universities for in-person conversations with researchers; conduct market research; and predict where the field is going. S/he must prepare for, and independently lead, individual EiC discussions, as well as Editorial Board meetings. Must be able travel independently, including the ability to drive to various locations. S/he must be flexible and able to troubleshoot, prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments in an efficient manner. Other responsibilities include administrative tasks on behalf of group, such as preparing journal proposals and contracts, maintaining paper and electronic files, managing accepted journal articles/issue for timely publication and updating future publication plans accordingly. Specific responsibilities include:
- Proactively maintain scholarly journals by conducting frequent communications with EiCs and Editorial Boards to keep the members engaged in journal activities. Includes strategic insight, initiative and independent judgement.
- Research and prepare development plans, outlining action items for growth, making recommendations for leadership changes, addressing threats/weaknesses, and identifying content growth opportunities.
- Under supervision of a Senior team member, prepare proposals and/or contracts for new journals, renewals, amendments and royalty/stipend payments—this responsibility requires independent judgment.
- Pipeline Management: maintain pipeline reports for journal portfolio in a manner that ensures program pipeline is growing, and in a manner that is transparent to other team members.
- Special Issue activities: acquire and track special issues for journals with the purpose of acquiring content and publishing in areas where the field is growing. Oversee guest editor orientation and coordinate between EM (JEO) and Production: issue naming; moving papers out of special issues; ensure proper publication sequence, other technical details. Requires initiative and independent judgment.
- Editor/Reviewer Performance Issues: monitor JEO for efficient editing/reviewing practices--to include reminder schedules and assignment protocols--in order to keep submissions flowing through Editorial Manager swiftly and smoothly. Initiate reviewer incentive programs.
- Schedule journal issues.
- Recordkeeping: keep internal systems up to date for journals and/or team journals as needed: JFlow; CRM, Docusign; SAP/xflow; Pricelist; subscription portal, SharePoint, Google Docs, Hive, AP payments, and other systems. Includes maintenance of Editorial Board coordinates in various systems. Must be done in a manner that provides transparency to other team members.
- Compile and upload data to Springer systems on behalf of team when needed. Assist with SharePoint and Google Drive sites where needed for team archive and pipeline purposes.
- Prepare materials for conferences, including PowerPoint presentations for board members. Assist global team as necessary.
- Prepare data for management report for Editorial Director as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelors degree with least 5 years of office experience.
- 3 years' experience in journal publishing is preferred.
- Very strong Excel skills required to manage tracking projects across a portfolio of journals.
- Laser focus and attention to detail; exhibiting strong organizational and analytical skills are a must.
- Ability to set own schedule and assist with team schedule and follow up on multiple projects as appropriate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; thorough knowledge of office procedures including efficient e-recordkeeping.
- Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer.
- Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software capabilities.
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.