Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Nature Partner Journals are a portfolio of high-quality Nature Research journals published by Springer Nature together with world-renowned partners. The Publishing Assistant provides support to Publishers and Managing Editors globally (across the US and UK primarily with ad hoc support to rest of world). Receives direction and work assignments directly from the Director, Outreach and Partnerships and Operations and Partnerships Manager, with input from the Executive Editor.
Under the supervision of the Director, Outreach and Partnerships, the role provides support for the Publishers and Managing Editors and spans a diverse range of functions including creating and evaluating new journal proposals; market analysis; project management of journal launches; management of journal websites; creation of journal reports; oversight of editorial payments. The Publishing Assistant must be able to analyze incoming calls/e-mail and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Director’s absence. Must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task.
- Handle non-strategic, administrative issues to assist a global team including Managing Editors and Publishers in maintaining scholarly journals: office point of contact when Operations and Partnerships Manager is traveling, prepare new Agreements for Editors with input from Managing Editors or Publishers, update internal systems, request checks, maintain addresses Editorial Boards, etc.
- Maintain editorial and other payment schedules; work in liaison with Accounts to raise and code invoices and follow up to ensure timely settlement of all payments.
- Provide assistance with tasks relating to journal reporting, including maintenance of relevant journal dashboards that are kept for each journal
- Maintain a centralized database of several master spreadsheets (list of contacts, specific mailing lists, meeting schedules, notes) and ensure proper filing
- Assistance in coordinating featured article selection and website updates, including basic proofreading and regular updating of the journal websitesPrepare market research to support the identification of new journal leads and provide support to the Publisher and Operations and Partnerships Manager through the journal approval process, including assistance with the creation of Project Assessment Documents.
- Support the Publishers and Managing Editors with the administration necessary for meetings that are essential to the successful operations of a journal, including Editorial Board and Joint Management Committee meetings.
- Provide any assistance to the Editorial team in journal Abstracting and Indexing process, including application preparation and follow up
- Provide any other ad hoc administrative tasks as requested
- Use the journal submission sites to pull data for internal and external publisher reports, including ad hoc reports for journals as necessary.
- Perform other related duties essential to the management of a portfolio of high-quality journals as required.
- Keep abreast of developments in the STM publishing industry in general.
- Use Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word and Outlook, DocuSign a plus, and additional database software, including internal systems: eJP.
- Ability to travel to conferences when needed
- Other duties as assigned
Regular (daily, or as needed) contact with International Authors, Editors, Reviewers, Partners, Editors and Editorial Board Members (when needed), Authors, general Staff across ORG/SRG.
Regular contact with other Springer departments and offices worldwide: Director, Executive Editor, Operations and Partnerships Manager, Publishers, Managing Editors, other Editors and Administrative Staff, various Departments (Marketing, Production, Magazine and Research Services, Customer Service, IT, Accounting Personnel)
Bachelors degree. At least 6 months of office experience. Preferred minimum 2 years' experience in either science publishing or journal publishing.
Knowledge and Experience
Excellent written and oral communication skills;
Understanding of financial spreadsheets or interest in finance welcomed; thorough knowledge of office procedures including excellent grammatical skills; exceptional interpersonal skills; ability to prioritize work assignments; ability to follow directions; ability to work accurately and exhibit strong organizational and analytical skills.
Must be able to act diplomatically in representing SpringerNature.
Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software capabilities is a must.
Publishing Assistant must have a can-do attitude, adapt easily and well to change, ; be a fast learner, demonstrate good judgement, and maintain a neat and organized working area. May be requested to attend conference exhibits.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.