Media Relations and Communications Manager
- Full Time
Are you an experienced media relations and communications professional who is ready to inform, educate and engage public audiences about ACOG and our mission?
ACOG, the nation's leading membership organization dedicated to the advancement of women's health care, is looking for Media Relations & Communications Manager with a focus in gynecology-related topics including reproductive health care policy and advocacy communications, to promote ACOG guidance, recommendations, policy statements and positions through active media relations, public relations, outreach, and communications activities, with the goal of shaping positive coverage with print, online and broadcast media outlets at the national, regional and local levels and advancing ACOG's brand. You'll be joining a dynamic marketing and communications team to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to tell the ACOG story.
- Media relations. Establish and maintain contacts with the general, health and health policy/government media, and trade, representing local, regional and national press, including print, digital, radio, and broadcast media outlets. Serves as primary responder to the media that contact ACOG (via email and phone). Provide appropriate background materials and ACOG publications, work with ACOG officers and/or experts to answer questions, write talking points for experts, and participate/answer question for media requests. Available for news media and staff in the field after working hours on a reasonable basis. Coordinate responses with Communications, ACOG leadership and other colleagues to ensure the factual accuracy, consistency and tone/voice of messages to be consistent with ACOG guidelines, opinions, and statements as well as ACOG's brand and style.
- Media materials development. Develop various media materials (i.e., press releases, media statements, articles, op-eds, letters to the editor, media alerts, etc) for consumer and professional outreach to promote and support ACOG guidelines, recommendations, statements, and events.
- Expert Bureau, Media Lists and Tracking. Continually recruit and maintain up-to-date, topically-based expert bureau of ACOG Fellows to serve as media spokespeople. Perform timely and accurate media tracking (based on media inquiries), selection, and electronic distribution of clips to the appropriate team members and staff. Develop targeted media lists for high priority topics.
- Media events. Help plan, organize and/or attend press briefings or digital media events on a variety of women's health issues. Tasks include the identification of key speakers, the development of promotional materials, the scripting of remarks and backgrounders, and the promotion of these events to the media.
- Communications and Social Media. Assisting in writing, editing, reviewing and approving messaging and content for the College's audiences in support of media and communications activities, including developing complementary website and social content for media activities, supporting campaign development, and preparing the content for collateral materials. Contribute to media and communications campaigns. Working with Marketing & Communications colleagues to write, edit and/or review on ACOG's website, social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter or other digital products.
- General Inquiries and Other Activities. Assist in responding to general inquiries that come in to the Office of Communications as needed. Assist with other Communications projects as needed.
- BA, BS in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field (advanced degree a plus).
- 5 years of direct hands-on, progressively responsible positions in media relations and communications,
- Must have experience in media, including health care, policy and advocacy media strategies. Substantive knowledge of women's health topics/content, particularly gynecological health, including reproductive health care preferred.
- Proven dedication to complex issues in the field of women's health and ability to quickly comprehend and develop messaging around complex health situations.
- Must have solid understanding and experience with media operations and news organizations. Experience answering a high volume of media inquiries as well as preparing and actively pitching media/press materials (statements, reports).
- Excellent written (statements, op-eds, press releases) and verbal communication skills (particularly in dealing with the media in a polished, professional manner).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure. Good project management skills and attention to detail a must.
- Must be skilled with digital communications and related technology, including fluency and hands-on experience with social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Occasional travel required. Must be available to respond to news media and staff in the field after working hours.
Home to more than 58,000 women's health care professionals, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) is a membership organization leading advancements in women's health. When you become part of the ACOG team, you're part of an organization that values communicating evidence-based, peer-reviewed information about women's health to members and the general public. ACOG supports its members by maintaining authoritative clinical guidance, providing continuing medical education resources, patient education materials and more. Together with our members, we are working to transform the future of women's health by delivering a compelling member experience, supporting the ob-gyn profession, and advocating for improved women's health.
Paid Parental Leave – Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace – Flexible work schedule – Commuting Allowance – Generous Paid Time Off – Holiday Pay – Life Insurance – Community Volunteering Opportunities – Generous 401(k) Company Contributions – Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – Learning Opportunities and Tuition Reimbursement – Company-Sponsored Team Outings – and more!
ACOG is an EEO employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. As a federal government contractor and in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, the College takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees covered are not discriminated against because of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. For more information about your equal employment opportunity rights, please view this poster: EEO is the Law. The College also participates in E-Verify.