Program Director and Fellow, Cybersecurity Initiative
- Full Time
The Middle East Institute (MEI), a nonpartisan think tank in Washington, DC, seeks a full-time Director for its new Cybersecurity Initiative.
Cyber conflict and cyber competition have emerged as new and at times destabilizing factors to influence the web of complex regional and international relations of the Middle East, as well as the various conflict axes that involve both state and non-state actors. Yet, too often, cybersecurity discussions occur without context for or appreciation of the dynamics that animate events in the region. The Middle East Institute is launching a Cybersecurity Initiative, which is intended to be a sustained program of research, analysis, policy outreach, and public education that will broaden understanding of the fast-moving dynamics of this reality as they relate to the Middle East. The project will identify pathways to mitigate risk and increase security and look for opportunities to develop greater mutual understanding and cooperation, as well as the development of common norms.
MEI seeks a Director to oversee the program, direct the research and analysis, coordinate with MEI’s other broader policy efforts, and serve as spokesperson for MEI on the issue.
The Director will manage the program in-house at MEI, supervise one staff member and two interns, coordinate with other MEI resident and nonresident experts, convene the Cybersecurity Working Group, and liaise with the cybersecurity advisory committee.
The Director reports to the Senior Vice President.
- Lead consolidation and growth of the initiative.
- Lead fundraising efforts to grow the program.
- Convene the Cybersecurity Working Group that includes members from the expert community, public sector, private sector, academia, and regional partners.
- Coordinate the production of original research and analysis by in-house and outside experts
- Produce regular short commentaries for the MEI website and for other outlets with cross-posting to the website. Participate in MEI podcasts, and do MEI videos.
- Write longer policy analyses involving more in-depth research and policy recommendations 2-3 times per year.
- Organize and lead talks, panels, and workshops.
- Participate in Track II meetings as appropriate.
- Be available for press, radio and television media as an MEI Senior Fellow.
- Be available to offer briefings to the US and other government officials as needed.
A Master’s Degree in a relevant field of studies such as public policy, technology, or law.
- Successful candidates will have 5-7 years of relevant work experience. Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills, exceptional ethical standards, and demonstrated ability in interpersonal communication and supervision are essential. He or she must be proactive and accountable and be equipped to manage varied commitments, competing deadlines, and shifting priorities.
- Prior to experience managing the many facets of complex projects, including research, networking, and communications is strongly preferred. Familiarity with grant reporting is a plus.
Salary commensurate with expertise and experience.
Apply for Program Director and Fellow, Cybersecurity Initiative
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly