Graphics Editor, Life & Arts
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced Graphics Editor to join an award-winning team of visual journalists to drive innovative storytelling with graphics, interactives and multimedia for print and digital. This New York-based Graphics Editor will be responsible for directing visual stories primarily on our Life & Arts desk, as well as for pitching and creating visual stories. The Graphics Editor will report to a Visual Editor and make decisions and recommendations related to coverage priorities and assignments. The Graphics Editor will schedule and run regular brainstorming meetings with reporters and editors in the bureau. The job also involves reviewing pitches and providing ideas, expertise and judgment around which stories should be assigned for visual stories. The Graphics Editor will contribute to creating enterprise and breaking news graphics for the coverage area, with opportunities to work on stories in sports and other topic areas. The Graphics Editor will support senior editors in the department as needed on broader leadership work, such as managing special projects or editing ambitious visual stories.
- Work with reporters and editors to shape ideas into visual story opportunities.
- Review visual pitches and ideas and using judgment and expertise decide which should become visual assignments.
- Pitch and develop visual stories.
- Work closely with supervisor and broader department to assign stories.
- Create enterprise and breaking news visuals for print and digital.
- Shape new workflows and processes in a fast-paced, global and cross-platform newsroom.
- As well as creating visual stories, the editor will contribute to editing graphics.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a newsroom, ideally 3-6 years.
- A creative vision and willingness to share and collaborate on new ideas.
- Expertise and interest in Features and Arts & Entertainment topics, as well as an appreciation of business news.
- Expertise with news graphics, charting and other design and data visualization techniques.
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools, such as Excel, SQL, R and Python.
- Able to schedule and run effective meetings in person or remotely.
- Able to prioritize best opportunities for visual stories using judgment based on newsroom and departmental strategy and resources.
- Good knowledge of responsive design and best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- Able to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Able to train reporters and editors to learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- The initiative to take on and learn new tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 16431