News Director Telemundo Utah
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
• Provides leadership and drives strategy for News coverage, driving culture of creativity and excellence.
• Collaborating to ensure local newscasts are well conceived and provide multi-platform, high quality coverage, accuracy, and integrity to improve competitive position in the market.
• In addition to direct oversight of News, this individual will work closely with Sales, Engineering, Production and other departments to further multi-platform opportunities and support Telemundo branding and programming initiatives.
• Creates the cohesive standards for all aspects of the on-air presentation and digital execution in coordination with the brand.
• Manages and develops news personnel, makes hiring decisions and establishes performance goals and guidelines.
• Oversees the evaluation and performance appraisal across the organization.
• Coaches and develops staff to work and grow in a multiplatform environment.
• Drives culture and creativity, excellence and performance.
• Work with local management in the effective use of resources and synergies in managing operations to develop standards and processes for optimal performance.
• Overall responsibility for newsgathering, production, news programming and presentation.
• Ensure newscasts are well conceived and provide high quality coverage, accuracy and integrity.
• Implement strategic mission and tactical operation of newsroom while ensuring the highest levels of journalistic, ethical, TV production and promotional standards are maintained.
• Oversee day-to-day coverage, big story, breaking news and sweeps planning with consideration of payroll, staffing, field, and news operations to meet established goals and objectives.
• Manage and lead team of News professionals.
• Ability to identify future-scheduled events and plan coverage around them.
• Must plan for the unexpected and respond well in crisis, keeping the news staff focused and committed to performing under extreme tension and pressure.
• Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Communications or equivalent work experience.
• 3 to 5 years in the following areas:
• Experience as a News Director, Assistant News Director or similar leadership role at a broadcast station in major market(s).
• Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans to operate within budgets.
• Experience and success in coaching, leading and motivating a team of employees.
• Fluent in English/Spanish.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
• Able to work a flexible schedule and shifts.
• Must be willing to work in Salt Lake City, UT
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Multi-platform experience.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Marketing research skills.
• Excellent people management, leadership and coaching skills.
• Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, content driven, technology intensive environment and meet deadlines.
• Strong performance management and leadership skills.
• Energetic and diligent in launching major campaigns.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Telemundo Station Group, part of the NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations division of NBCUniversal, is comprised of 26 local television stations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Producing and broadcasting more than 15,000 hours of unique and relevant local content each year, including award-winning news, public affairs, and entertainment programming, Telemundo Station Group serves the largest Hispanic television markets in the country including Los Angeles, New York, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Chicago, San Antonio, San Francisco Bay Area, Phoenix, Harlingen, Orlando, Fresno, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., San Diego, Tampa, Denver, El Paso, Boston, Las Vegas, Tucson, Hartford, Fort Myers, Springfield, Richmond and Puerto Rico. In addition, Telemundo Station Group operates TeleXitos, a national multicast network that offers viewers popular action and adventure television series and feature films in Spanish. The group also provides support to 50 Telemundo affiliates across the country and manages dedicated local websites and applications, as well as a robust digital out-of-home operation.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.