Director of Publicity
- Full Time
The Publicity Director develops and implements Oxford University Press (OUP) Academic Division’s creative, strategic, multi-tiered publicity & media. Managing a team of talented and experienced publicists worldwide, this role is critical in building OUP’s brands globally. The ideal candidate has excellent media relationships, a record of accomplishment in garnering media attention, and is a strong people manager. While a portion of this role is about “traditional book publicity,” OUP in an innovative digital company who is seeking a Publicity Director with experience in digital products and collaborating on major brand campaigns.
- Develops the overall publicity strategy and manages execution for publicity campaigns in the following areas:
- Seasonal trade catalog titles – maximize exposure for authors and their books
- Key brand campaigns around our dictionaries and language program – grow OUP’s brand as a language powerhouse
- Major product launches and other divisional PR initiatives – build brand awareness and customer engagement
- News coverage for our Journals portfolio – raise profile and engagement with our journals content
- Author event strategy
- Fosters and maintains substantive relationships with key broadcast, print, and digital media. Proactively seeks and develops new media relationships to grow OUP coverage.
- Develop and implement metrics that articulate divisional goals and measure success.
- Manages a global team of 15 in the US, UK, and Asia.
- Develops and nurtures talent
- Sets departmental procedures and policies
- Proactively seeks process improvement and efficiency opportunities
- Act as a consultant to media best practices within the Division
- Partner on key corporate communication initiatives
- Responsible for Divisional media response plan / Divisional lead on crisis communications
- Handle major media interest that comes in over the transom from other Marketing activity
- Partners with Broader Marketing team in the following areas:
- Ensure media is part of our campaign plans and all connections are maximized
- Contribute to profiling of titles and providing feedback to Editorial
- Ensure Trade Marketing plans are integrated across Marketing and Publicity
- Suggest authors for OUP Academic Blog
- Develop author media competence. Brief authors on how to handle interviews; develop media contacts; accompany authors on interviews as needed.
- At least 10 years of hands-on publicity experience, with increasing levels of responsibility for campaign management and strategy.
GJC Level: M7 (for internal purposes only)
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.