Penguin Young Readers is searching for a Junior Designer or a Designer to join the Art department for two imprints, G. P. Putnam’s Sons and Nancy Paulsen Books. This role will conceptualize and design trade hardcover children’s books and work closely with the Art Director and publishing teams to incorporate feedback and refine designs.
This is an incredible opportunity to manage all stages of cover and interior design for bestselling children’s titles from concept to production.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Working with the Art Director, Editors, Illustrators and the Production team to create jackets and interiors for picture books and novels.
* Researching and acquiring fonts, illustrations, photographs and graphics.
* Preparing materials for the printing of the books.
* Monitoring established budgets, scheduling printer deadlines, and overseeing design quality at all stages.
* Negotiating with artists and agencies for use of fonts, illustrations, photographs and graphics.
* Providing general administrative support, including handling the art department records and invoices, scanning sketches and original art, preparing artwork for release to production and return to artist, archiving material post-production, and ordering and maintaining supplies.
* Mentoring and training an Art Department intern as needed.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.