Branded and Custom Content Director
- Full Time
AFAR Media, the critically acclaimed travel media brand headquartered in San Francisco and New York, is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic branded and custom content director to join our team. The ideal candidate has 10+ years of editorial or branded content experience; preference will be given to those candidates who have worked with clients and agencies in prior roles. Must-haves: Editorial acumen, marketing savvy, strong project management skills, a keen understanding of branded/custom content and client needs, exceptional communication skills, and strong attention to detail. Experience in the travel category preferred. This role reports directly to the VP, Marketing.
- Manage multiple content programs to deliver a seamless, turnkey process for in-house stakeholders and external clients.
- Create and execute plans for large-scale, multi-year custom programs with AFAR partners.
- Conceptualize, assign, and produce sponsored and custom content—in the form of print and digital content, social media, video, and events—for AFAR’s advertising and marketing partners.
- Meet with clients and partners to listen to their challenges and develop effective content solutions that deliver on their needs
- Work closely with AFAR’s sales, marketing, and editorial teams to develop innovative and proactive content ideas for marketing partners
- Track performance of content programs to ensure that campaigns meet their KPIs and to advise clients and internal teams on best practices for branded and custom content
- Collaborate with designers (in-house and freelance) to ensure all projects are visually compelling and deliver on key messaging.
- Recruit, cultivate, manage, and retain one full-time editor and top freelance talent, including but not limited to editors, writers, and designers.
- Work with the AFAR Travel Advisory Council, AFAR Ambassadors, and social media influencers to produce content. Develop and manage influencer partnerships
- Ensure ASME compliance on all projects.
- Confident strategic and creative thinker who wants to roll up his/her sleeves
- At least 10 years of experience as an editor and/or writer
- Managerial and team-building experience
- Must be a proactive self-starter with a collaborative spirit
- Ability to initiate and manage multiple projects at a time; hire and manage project-based content teams
- Must have an excellent sense of urgency and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with multiple teams at once, including, but not limited to design, marketing, sales, and editorial
- Differentiation and quality are what AFAR is known for, so it’s important that candidates bring that to the table
- Experience managing freelancers
- Experience managing and communicating with clients
- Technical skills: InDesign, CMS, and Google analytics.