CHIEF CONTENT OFFICER
- Full Time
1,000 Days is seeking a Chief Content Officer (CCO) to spearhead our efforts to be the leading voice on the issues that affect mothers and children globally and in the U.S. during the first 1,000 days.
The CCO will design and implement a content strategy to help deliver on 1,000 Days’ 2019-2021 strategic plan and to position the organization as an authority on issues related to food, nutrition, maternal, infant and young child health and development in the first 1,000 days. He/she will help strengthen the 1,000 Days brand, grow the organization’s influence and raise the visibility of the issues that 1,000 Days advocates on to a diverse set of audiences, including media, policymakers, partner organizations and parents. The CCO will oversee the planning and execution of all content initiatives for the organization across multiple channels and formats. The CCO will also be a key player in raising revenue to support the growth of the content and communications function of 1,000 Days.
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, collaborative and creative and will thrive in a small team environment. This is a leadership-level position—the CCO will report to and serve as a thought-partner to the Executive Director while working across and with the rest of the team—and a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, D.C.
Strategy and Leadership
· Design and implement a content strategy that advances 1,000 Days’ strategic priorities and advocacy agenda, and raises the profile of the organization among a variety of audiences.
· Elevate 1,000 Days’ visibility and grow its influence by securing high-profile media and speaking opportunities for 1,000 Days leadership. Cultivate relationships with journalists and influencers.
· Convey 1,000 Days’ unique value proposition and impact to funders, prospective donors and other supporters.
· Contribute to 1,000 Days’ fundraising and organizational growth efforts.
· Serve as a senior advisor to the Executive Director and contribute as part of 1,000 Days’ small management team.
Content and Campaigns
· Spearhead the translation of news, research, and policy documents into high-quality multi-media content that is accessible to 1,000 Days’ audiences.
· Ensure high standards of excellence in all external communications by overseeing and approving all content that is developed, including but not limited to emails, parent education videos, website content, blogs, Op-Eds, digital campaigns, advocacy actions, social media graphics, and other collateral.
· Drive innovation in our communications efforts to position 1,000 Days at the leading edge of the issues we advocate on.
· Collaborate with 1,000 Days’ program teams to develop advocacy, storytelling and parent education campaigns.
· Grow 1,000 Days’ social media audiences, including an online grassroots advocacy community, currently made up of nearly 200,000 parents and caregivers.
· Lead strategy for all earned media, including media statements, letters-to-the-editor, and opinion editorials.
Team Development and Management
· Manage and grow a team of content professionals, promoting a culture of excellence.
· Oversee engagement of external vendors and contractors, including photographers, videographers, graphic designers and web developers.
· Oversee day-to day activities of communications and content functions including budgeting and staff development.
· Bachelor’s Degree required and a minimum of 10 years of experience working in the marketing/communications/media/PR field.
· A track record of success designing, implementing, and evaluating a content strategy.
· Proven experience with an editorial approach to communications through creating accessible and compelling content for different target audiences. Experience in crisis communications and rapid response is a plus.
· A leader and a “doer” who is equally comfortable building a strategy, directing staff and rolling up your sleeves to get the work done.
· Exceptional writer and editor, having written for diverse audiences.
· Authentic passion for 1,000 Days’ mission.
· Experience in fundraising and/or business development.
· Acute attention to detail and outstanding organizational and project management skills.
· Experience using a variety of tools including Adobe Creative Suite, social media marketing applications (SproutSocial, Facebook Business Manager); CRM platforms (Salsa Labs), etc.
· Ability to travel up to 25% of time.
· Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
ABOUT 1,000 DAYS
1,000 Days leads the fight to give mothers and babies in the U.S. and around the world the nutrition they need to thrive. We work with global leaders and grassroots communities of parents to make the 1,000 days between a woman’s pregnancy and her child’s 2nd birthday a window of opportunity to build healthier, brighter futures.
HOW TO APPLY
· Email cover letter with salary requirements, resume and a writing sample via the link provided and please put “Chief Content Officer” in the subject line.
· Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted – No phone calls please.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
1,000 Days is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.