Director of Conferences
- Full Time
Director of Conferences
University of San Diego
The Director of Conferences administers management and oversight for sales & operations of the Conference Services department and its staff that directly provide logistical support, planning, coordination and execution for on and off campus educational, cultural, youth, religious, corporate and programmatic conferences and events. Responsible for fostering solid relations with internal and external partners in an effort to strategically recruit clients to the University; with the goal for assuring these solid partnerships and programs are cohesive to the mission of the University. Responsibility to include fiscal oversight of the department's operating budget thereby providing financial growth for the University. Supervision received from the Director of Hospitality Services. General supervision of the Director of Sport camps (summer position), Operations Manager, and administrative support staff; immediate supervision of University students working as area managers, conference/camp managers, and project coordinators.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Develop and execute and lead a strategic operating plan for the department's operating policies and practices.
• Establish department goals and objectives that are aligned with the Auxiliary Services department goals and the Business Services and Administration division.
• Design, implement and facilitate annual marketing and sales plan for the organization.
• Translating business unit objectives and strategies to develop brand portfolio objectives, strategies and plan to facilitate business unit growth.
• Develops marketing and sales strategy, based on knowledge of establishment policy and the nature of the market.
• Acts as primary contact for all conferences inquiries. Coordinates campus tours and prepares bid packets as well as the necessary RFP.
• Prepares and negotiates contracts for each conference group. Prepares final agreement detailing the needs of the conference group and provide ongoing client relationship management.
• Coordinates details and needs with appropriate departments and offices to assure a successful conference.
• In conjunction with the Hospitality Director, sets summer conference rates.
• Responsible for the collection of deposits and payments in excess of $3 million annually.
• Oversees full accounting of departmental budget.
• Responsible for full conference accounting for final billing for each conference.
• Supervises the collection of all monies owed in a timely manner.
• Negotiates billing discrepancies or variances with contracted group.
• Oversees the timely and complete interdepartmental transfers for services rendered.
• Produces a final accounting of Conferences Services business.
• Submits report to the Director of Hospitality Services and Executive Director of Auxiliary Services.
• Supervises the Director of Sports Camps (summer position only).
• Supervises and coordinates the student staff hiring process including promotion, advertising, applications and interviews.
• Supervises and coordinates week-long staff training with departments throughout campus.
• Supervises the publishing of the annual staff manual.
• Supervises and trains summer supervisors.
• Conducts mid-summer and end-of-summer evaluations of summer staff.
• Supervises 35/50 summer part time staff during the summer and 3-5 staff during the academic year.
Operational and Organizational
• Facilitates weekly staff meetings.
• Facilitates weekly summer conference meetings with affected campus departments.
• Supervises the publication of “the Book,” a listing of all summer groups, that is shared with pertinent personnel throughout campus.
• Creates and develops a summer theme, including logo design for use on summer materials.
• Coordinates with Housing the transitions from the academic year to summer and back again.
• Ensures that adequate supplies and supply inventories are ordered and maintained.
• Ensures the ordering of guest memorabilia for the conference program.
• Oversees and provides ongoing services for conference groups and guests to assure a smooth program experience.
• Supervises the ordering of welcome gifts for conference chairs and thank you notes for chairs at the end of the summer.
• Acts as official contact point and host/hostess for Conference Services at USD.
• Addresses crises and critical incidents with a sense of business urgency, providing both remedial and long-term solutions.
• Maintains ongoing communication with internal customers (USD departments and academic units) as well as with the larger community.
1. Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Hospitality Management, Communication or in the meeting industry related field.
2. Minimum of (5) five years demonstrated experience in a combination of marketing/managerial experience, in the hospitality/customer services field area, or a combination of education and upper managerial level experience where these skills have been acquired.
1. Certified Meeting Professional (CMP)
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to interact with a wide variety of constituencies with tact and diplomacy.
2. Experience coordinating conferences/events with over 1,500 participants.
3. A demonstrated understanding of the recreation, tourism, hotel, and resort management industries.
4. Possess a commitment to quality, client-oriented service.
5. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; strong conflict resolution skills.
6. Excellent public relations skills.
7. Strong analytical, reasoning and self-motivational skills; ability to instill these skills in those supervised.
8. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple responsibilities with constantly changing deadlines and requirements.
9. Ability to plan and executive effective training programs.
10. Thorough knowledge of accounting principles.
11. Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools - Personal computer, Microsoft Office, Event Master (CBORD), CP (Seattle Technology), general office equipment.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Must be able to travel for extended periods of time to evaluate other programs/venues and attending sales show to recruit future client for the university. No vacation may be taken May through August due to peak seasonal responsibilities.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers.
Special Application Instructions
If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an EOE committed to diversity and inclusion.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/1441987