- Full Time
Democracy: A Journal of Ideas, the country’s premier journal of progressive thought, is seeking a publisher to lead an expansion of the journal as it heads toward its 15th year. Since its 2007 founding, Democracy has served as the R & D branch of the progressive movement, publishing essays and arguments that go on to become conventional wisdom and, in some cases, law.
The journal, edited by leading liberal commentator Michael Tomasky, publishes consistently excellent work by high-profile authors (Elizabeth Warren, Lawrence Summers, Jason Furman, and many others), and its reputation has grown and grown. Now, we want to bring in a publisher to raise our profile even more. We do not need a publisher in the traditional magazine-business sense; our goal is not to build a huge circulation. Our goal is to build influence within the core audience of policy-makers and intellectuals who develop the ideas that can lead the country to a better place. And since we are a small 501c3, our model for growth is more similar to that of a nonprofit organization than a for-profit magazine.
• A passion for Democracy’s mission: To publish the smartest and most provocative progressive thinkers in the country and push their ideas into the center of the political discourse. Relatedly, a recognition of the power of ideas—that winning the battle of ideas is central to political success.
• Extensive contacts in the liberal donor world.
• Deep knowledge of the foundation world (program officers, funding areas, etc.).
• Experience in building revenue streams for other nonprofits.
• Ability to think creatively about how to expand the journal’s readership.
• Ability to think creatively about how to raise the journal’s profile among insiders in Washington.
• Added plus: Some experience in journalism/publishing and some management experience.
This is a truly exciting opportunity for the right person. We envision the Democracy of the future as more than just a journal that comes out four times a year. It will also be a convener of the country’s leading intellectuals across a range of platforms, all aimed at the core purpose of changing the direction of public debate in this country.
A location of Washington, DC is preferred but not necessary. Salary competitive and commensurate with experience. Democracy is an equal-opportunity employer. Please send a cover letter and resume or to 818 18th Street NW, Suite 750; Washington, DC 20006.