Scientific American, the longest continuously published magazine in the U.S., has been bringing its readers unique insights about developments in science and technology for more than 170 years. Scientific American has 3.5 million print and tablet readers worldwide and publishes 13 local language editions, which are read in more than 30 countries across the globe.
Senior Multimedia Editor for Scientific American
Scientific American has been on the cutting edge of innovation since 1845. Are you ready to keep us on the edge by leading Scientific American's video efforts? We are seeking a talented multimedia science video producer to take the reins.
As the Senior Multimedia Editor, you will report directly to the Managing Multimedia Editor and work day to day with the Scientific American Art, News, Features, and Opinions departments. You will make videos (and occasionally podcasts) to serve a science interested general audience with a broad range of science related topics.
If you are interested in video story-telling and are detail-oriented, this is a great time to be part of the team. We are redeveloping our video offerings with an eye toward deep explainers and rich media features.
Animation and design skills are a plus.
This is what the job entails:
- You will script, shoot, produce, and edit videos on a team with other text, photo, and engagement editors.
- Research, produce, write, edit video explainers and feature videos
- Assign stories to freelancers and manage those productions
- Manage multiple productions at once from concept to final deliverables
- Be part of the Springer Nature video “brain trust,” ie The Multimedia Centre of Excellence
- Occasionally shoot video in our studio and out in the field
- Create or adapt animated graphics.
- Assist the art team in developing a new animated infographics program
This is a very competitive job. You must bring many skills to the table, including scripting, editing, directing, and project management.
- You should love science and video
- Between your bachelors and advanced degrees, you should have a smattering of course work in science, journalism, and/or film production. A bachelors degree is required and at least a masters degree strongly preferred
- Production management experience is essential
- You should be an avid social media user, aware of video trends on all major platforms
You must be able to demonstrate:
- at least 5 years of multimedia production experience, including at least 2 years of production management experience
- a track record of reaching a broad public audience with complex stories (not necessarily science) made simple
- strong ability to tell science and technology stories, either with an appropriate reel full of such stories or with a BA or advanced degree in science
- the ability to research, script, edit, and shoot
- pro-level skills with several Adobe Cloud programs, including Premier Pro, Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, Media Encoder
- at least a working knowledge of Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Microsoft Office, Google productivity tools
- a strong portfolio including productions of varying lengths from 30 seconds to at least 5 minutes
How to apply:
Please complete your application by May 7, 2019 and be sure to include a cover letter, resume and links to at least 3 videos in which you played a substantial editorial role and describe that role (e.g. - director, producer, videographer, on camera talent). You will be contacted after the jo closing date if you are selected for a preliminary interview.
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.