KXAS and KXTX, the NBC and Telemundo owned stations in Dallas/Fort Worth, are seeking a duopoly Managing Editor to oversee editorial content across both stations. We are looking for a transformational leader who can successfully merge the editorial operations of two stations into one cohesive unit while crafting and executing a strategic vision for two unique brands simultaneously. If you are looking for an opportunity to create the most optimized duopoly newsgathering machine and enjoy the idea of building workflow and communication strategies that reflect today’s digital and on-air newsroom, this could be the ideal role for you. The successful candidate will work with both KXAS and KXTX on daily news gathering, planning, and breaking news execution. An exceptional level of news judgment and an understanding of what makes a good story is vital to succeeding in this role. This position reports directly to both the VP, News KXTX & VP, News KXAS and spearheads the content planning and acquisition strategy. He or she will inspire and instill confidence in the staff, and foster teamwork and collaboration. The Managing Editor is responsible for keeping his or her hands on the pulse of the North Texas Community. Ideally, he or she will have experience in both general and Hispanic markets and is a bilingual English/Spanish speaker.
• Oversee short-and long-term planning for content, both breaking news, and enterprise, and drive team coverage of big breaking stories and severe weather.
• Coordinate breaking news coverage and allocation of duopoly resources.
• Enterprise strong, unique local content and meet deadlines.
• Communicate clear expectations for quality content and the needs of both audiences across all platforms.
• Directly oversee the daily assignments of a team of reporters for KXTX & KXAS.
• Motivate, coach, develop and keep duopoly staff focused to ensure excellent performance.
• Manage and review performance, and address quality and productivity performance issues.
• Create development plans to help staff embrace strengths and challenges, and share and grow their abilities.
• Help guide news staff in journalism best practices and content showcasing on all platforms.
• Embrace diversity of thought in story selection and execution.
• Hold staff accountable for content that is balanced, fair, accurate and complete, incorporating where appropriate a diverse range of sources.
• Plan and share content across platforms of TV and Digital.
• Plan and share content with news partners (The Dallas Morning News, Entercom Communications, NBC). Share resources when possible Basic Qualifications
Additional Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related broadcast field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in newsgathering, news production and/or news operations
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered (note job #)
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work in Dallas/Fort Worth area just south of DFW airport
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
- Must accept Solutions as NBCUniversal’s Alternative Dispute Resolution program
- Experience in both general and Spanish language TV Markets
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Demonstrate strong management, leadership, communication, collaborative and customer service (internal and external) skills, and a passion for self-development
- Proactive, flexible, adaptable, energetic, organized, detailed oriented and able to multi-task and problem solve in a high-energy, fast-paced and constantly transforming environment.
- Demonstrate a highly developed skill as a critical thinker to work with other managers and staff to spot reporting holes, bias and other issues.
- Proven ability to train as a subject matter expert.
- Proven ability to take a results-oriented approach to work and leverage resources for competitive advantage.
- Possess an understanding of the technologies used in the newsroom including Chyron, iNews, Stratus, News Ticker and various digital search tools.
- Proven ability to use time effectively, efficiently and productively, and meet deadlines.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.