Digital Media Editor
- Full Time
The Digital Media Editor will drive The Bail Project’s communications strategy for social media and email. The candidate will work with the Communications team to write and create original multimedia content for our social media channels. We’re looking for someone who is passionate and knowledgeable about criminal justice reform and understands the power of effective social media campaigns to educate and inspire online audiences.
This person should have a keen understanding of current social platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) as well as a sharp eye for emerging storytelling tools. This position requires creative thinking and excellent judgement managing The Bail Project’s organizational voice across social media channels, as well as deep collaboration with multiple teams across the country.
The responsibilities of this position are two fold: managing The Bail Project’s social media accounts and writing original, timely copy for an array of campaigns.
Social Media Management (60%)
- Develop a social media roadmap for The Bail Project that helps further develop the organizational voice and tone, and uses social media to enhance storytelling and interaction with supporters
- Produce daily content for Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Maintain editorial calendar for social media accounts
- Define key performance indicators for each social channel to inform strategy.
- Track data and analytics for social media accounts and email program
- Monitor social media comments to engage community.
- Serve as the organization’s social media expert, collaborating with site coordinators to run local social media accounts using best practices and to use national social media accounts to highlight local work and support local campaigns for change
- Work with the Web and Multimedia Manager to conceptualize and produce photo and video projects.
- Present monthly reports on social media strategy and growth.
- Work with the communications and philanthropy teams to implement email program.
Writing and producing original copy (40%)
- Help maintain The Bail Project’s internal story archive
- Interview clients, former clients, and other staff members about their experiences
- Stay up to date with news and policy developments regarding criminal justice reform efforts, particularly in the bail reform sector
- Oversee production of weekly internal and monthly external newsletter; work with Web and Digital Media Manager on design
- Oversee production of The Bail Project’s blog
- Draft site-specific copy for a range of audiences (pamphlets, development materials, etc.)
- Provide additional project support as assigned by the Director of Communications.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Experience doing community-based editorial work, including interviewing skills
- Minimum 5-years of experience in social media or digital journalism
- Deep understanding of social media channels and trends
- Track record running social media accounts for a non-profit or media outlet
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- A passion for the mission of The Bail Project
- Knowledge of WordPress and Adobe Photoshop preferred
- Experience either covering or working in the criminal justice field preferred
The right candidate will be highly organized and comfortable working independently as well as in collaborative teams. Willingness to adapt to the change inherent in a rapidly scaling startup are essential. We especially welcome applications from individuals who have been impacted by the criminal legal system.
How to apply:
This is an LA-based position. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter with resume and two writing samples in a single PDF via the link provided with "Digital Media Editor” in the subject line by May 10, 2019 at 9am PST. No faxes or phone calls please. Applicants will be notified regarding whether or not they have been selected for an interview.
The Bail Project is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of people of color, women, and formerly incarcerated individuals. We are committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff.