Designer, Hachette Books
- Full Time
Hachette Books is seeking a Designer. The Designer will be responsible for working with the Art Director on projects throughout the design and production process. Hachette Books publishes narrative nonfiction, business, science, history, health and wellness, pop culture, poetry, sports, and humor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle design and manage the routing of all jacket/cover mechanicals. Prepare all mechanicals for production (a solid understanding or experience with prepress is a major plus).
- Under the supervision of the Art Director, design jackets and covers for adult trade hardcover and paperback books.
- Handle design and corrections of book reprints as requested.
- Under supervision of the Art Director, design advertising/promotional material for Marketing and Publicity departments.
- Offer strong support to Art Director through clerical and administrative tasks, which may include purchasing rights, processing invoices, preparing art contracts, uploading covers into a database, organizing art, sending packages and ordering supplies.
- Handle queries and provide materials as needed for other departments, such as Editorial, Marketing, and Production.
- Help prepare for and attend weekly jacket meetings. Attend weekly Production meetings.
- Responsible for safety of original artwork: packing, storage, and tracking at all stages of production process.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design strongly preferred.
- 2-3 year of experience in publishing, design, or related field. Book cover design experience preferred.
- Must be proficient with the Macintosh operating system—solid knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required (Quark, Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, Muse, and After Effects a plus).
- The ideal candidate should be very well-organized, attentive to detail, have the ability to juggle multiple projects, and be comfortable with both administrative duties as well as more creative tasks
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- To be considered, candidates must include a link to their online portfolio in their resumes.