- Full Time
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Provide a high level of editorial support for the Senior Executive Editor and Senior Editor responsible for the Yale University Press science, medicine, technology, and mathematics programs, from conception of proposals through manuscript development to bound book. Possess a comfort and willingness to work with scientific and technical manuscripts. Ensure that daily deadlines are met and prioritized to include both daily and overarching tasks. Engage with staff, faculty, authors, publishing representatives, media booksellers, and other customers with a high degree of professionalism. Research, select, and contact readers for proposals and manuscripts and maintain an organized system of manuscripts and accompanying material; undertake course surveys for titles designated as course books. Articulate complex and sensitive information in a convincing, coherent, and efficient way. Track progress of readers' reviews, including keeping detailed notes; initiate payment for readers. Prepare memos and budgets for proposed projects to be reviewed by press management and Committee on Publications. Process manuscripts and accompanying materials for release to editing and production and for sales and marketing launches. Occasionally represent Press at conferences. Participate in hiring and training of work-study students and summer interns.
Please note that this is an editorial assistant for science, medicine, technology, and mathematics.
Required Education and Experience:
BA/BS and two years of related experience in the same job family or in book publishing or related enterprise (magazine publishing, library, bookstore, newspaper, yearbook, public relations); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including proofreading skills (accuracy, spelling, style and grammar).
- Excellent organizational, analytic, interpersonal and follow-through skills.
- Demonstrated copy-editing ability. Writing samples will be requested at the time of interview.
- Proficiency in MS Word or Word Perfect. Ability to develop spreadsheets and databases in MS Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle many tasks simultaneously and on deadline with minimal supervision.
- Preferred Education and Experience: BA/BS in the natural or environmental sciences or related Skills: disciplines; Yale University Press internship; graduate of a postgraduate level publishing course, or six months experience as a Publishing or Editorial Assistant at Yale University Press.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at via the link provided. Please be sure to reference Mediabistro when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.