Head of Content (Business) - 100% remote (Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor, Editorial Director)
- Full Time
We’re seeking a head of content with 5+ years of online editorial experience with major publications (ideally major business publications like Fortune, WSJ, etc.). You’ll be responsible for all of the articles we publish and in charge of your own team of about a dozen writers, editors, proofreaders, fact checkers, and illustrators.
Who Are We?
The Oracles (theoracles.com) is a mastermind group comprised of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world. We create service journalism that shares our members’ stories and insights in major online business media.
We’re a fun, leading-edge organization that produces and publishes strategic content, serving both reader and member goals and helping millions of early- to mid-stage entrepreneurs build successful companies and live better lives. We extract the most valuable insights that would otherwise go unshared from the minds of extremely accomplished and busy entrepreneurs and publish that knowledge through our partner network of top online business publications. All of our articles publish online (no print) and see over 1 million unique views collectively each month.
It’s Work That Matters
We’re making it easier than ever before for a genuinely successful businessperson to share their valuable knowledge with a substantial audience. There’s something special about knowing your hard work and talents are helping hundreds of thousands of people build their own businesses.
Pay & Perks...
- It pays $100k to $120k/year.
- Work from home or anywhere you want. This is fully remote. We have no office, no stuffy business meetings, no red tape. We’re a 100 percent virtual company.
- Choose your own hours. It rarely matters when you work, only that you get the work done.
- Get paid to learn from some of the most accomplished businesspeople in the world.
- Interact with amazing, giving, caring entrepreneurs that you’ll meet at our quarterly dinners.
- Build your own editorial team.
- A box of fresh & hot Krispy Kreme donuts delivered to your door weekly. (Just kidding. Well, sort of. If you love Krispy Kreme as much as we do, we can probably make this happen.)
- No taxes IF you make the world your home and live abroad for nine months of the year, which qualifies you for FEIE and which means you owe $0 income tax on the first $106k/year.
No healthcare included.
Day In The Life…
You roll out of bed at 10 a.m. (because you can) and pour a delicious cup from your Nespresso machine. Take a sip and have a moment of silence for everyone stuck in traffic. OK, time to work.
It’s 10:55 a.m. and your Skype interview is about to start with someone who used to live in his car and now runs a $200 million real estate empire. You talk for 90 minutes and he shares unbelievable, inspiring stories he’s never told anyone before. You drop the interview recording to one of the writers in Slack.
Time for lunch and Uber Eats swings by with your ahi tuna kale salad. You check in with your content production team and ensure everyone is on track. Everyone is except for Jimmy; he fell off the wagon and you quickly get him back on track.
It’s 2 p.m. and you start digging into the three articles in the “awaiting final approval” queue. You complete your edits, submit two for publication and kick back the other for revisions. You notice we’re missing images to run with a story and you text the client to urgently request them.
Bing... a new article just published! You immediately review it to ensure the live version is flawless. It’s 5 p.m. and more answers just came in for our monthly roundtable articles. A few stragglers haven’t submitted their answers yet, so you send some follow-up emails.
You just realized there’s a more efficient way for us to be doing something and you bang out a new workflow. You post it on our Checklists board in Trello and notify the team. Everything’s looking good and you go for yoga to relax and reflect on the day.
You will head the team that plans, produces, polishes, and publishes every article people read from The Oracles.
You'll be responsible for:
- Dreaming up new topics.
- Writing captivating, clickable headlines.
- Assigning articles.
- Securing new publishing partners.
- Building relationships with business celebrities.
- Supervising the production team.
- Recruiting new talent.
- Collecting clients’ answers to interview questions.
- Personally final editing every article.
- Occasionally writing articles yourself.
You’ll also be in charge of things like:
- Creating our semi-annual editorial calendar.
- Leading and executing our entire editorial process, standards, guidelines, and fact-checking.
- Developing and optimizing our internal workflows for content production.
- Recruiting new writers and editors, as needed, soup to nuts from posting the job ad to hiring.
Your job will be approximately:
- 35 percent content production management.
- 30 percent editing.
- 10 percent writing.
- 20 percent building relationships with publications and business celebrities.
- 5 percent hiring.
You’ll work on producing top quality content like this:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to ensure that every one of our articles meets high, exacting standards and goes from concept to publication efficiently and punctually.
If an article bombs, the onus will rest on you. If an article goes viral and is cheered by millions, we’ll send you so many cupcakes that you’ll be the most popular kid in your neighborhood.
This is a high-energy environment where you’ll be running things with great autonomy and managing dozens of spinning plates every day. You’ll be captaining dozens of articles every month (at 800 to 1,500 words each), all in different stages of production.
TECHNOLOGY WARNING: Because we’re fully virtual, we use a LOT of SaaS. We use Slack and Trello religiously. If you and technology don’t get along, this is not the environment for you.
ANOTHER WARNING: We operate seven days a week. We know it’s weird, but we believe in doing things with passion or not at all, and our team is extremely passionate about the work that we do. You’ll be expected to stay in touch over weekends and work a couple of hours on Saturdays and Sundays (primarily just responding to or following up on emails to customers, or responding in our Slack). If weekend work is completely off-limits for you, we aren’t going to be a fit.
This position isn't for everyone. It requires a lot of dedication, but tremendous benefits await the right person.
Who You Are...
You are probably good—scratch that, brilliant—at what you do. And that’s why you’re reading this right now. See, everything you’ve done in your life up until this moment has led you here. To this page. To this job. (It’s not really a job though, is it? More like playtime that we get paid serious cha-ching for.)
It’s calling your name. Why? You’ve done the nine-to-five grind and 45-minute daily commute. Now you’re ready to join one of those fully remote companies where you can work from anywhere in your PJs. You’re reading this for a reason. Your next adventure, where you can have huge impact and huge freedom, is on this page.
We’re looking for past experience at a major publication where you managed a team (roles such as Editor-in-Chief / EIC, Executive Editor, Deputy Editor, Managing Editor, Editorial Director, Features Editor, Content Director). The bulk of your experience is in web/online/digital publishing. Exceptional editing, writing, and organizational skills are required.