Manager of Storytelling Initiatives
- Full Time
Families USA, a national voice for health care consumers dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all, is searching for a talented, creative communications professional who appreciates the power of storytelling to put health care issues front and center, create movements, win hearts, and change minds. This is a fantastic opportunity to assist in shaping a renowned, often-referenced storytelling program to aid a forthcoming website redesign, a proactive media relations function, and a robust social media and digital campaign. Do you boldly color outside of lines or feel constrained by boxes? Great! We welcome outside-the-box thinkers — in fact, we favor those who enjoying creating new boxes with altogether new ideas and possibilities!
About the Opportunity:
In this role, you will build and maintain storytelling partnerships with organizations; search for health care consumers to interview; interview consumers to determine how Families USA should best catalog their experience and write summaries about their experiences for the storytelling database; manage the storytelling database ensuring the database is current and reflects the breadth of Families USA’s various story types; be accountable for curating stories and finding creative ways to showcase those stories for our programs, media requests, requests from partner organizations, and requests from our Federal Relations team.
The Manager of Storytelling Initiatives will assist the Senior Manager of Communications and other Families USA staff in promptly filling requests for consumer stories or requests to speak to consumers about their health care experiences.
We are looking for a confident, bold professional who:
- Can be a smart tactician and a smart strategist, and know the difference
- Will “own” the storytelling function fearlessly, uphold it as a critical component of Families USA’s broad and far-reaching work
- Will work collaboratively with a team-first spirit
- Has sound news judgement
- Inherently knows what a good story is
- Is humble, thoughtful, and maintains a high level of integrity
We value intellect and ambition, but equally important are a commitment to excellence, ethics, compassion, and a strong desire to make health care better and more accessible for all through storytelling.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively develop and maintain relationships with health care consumers and storytelling partners to grow Families USA’s story bank
- Schedule interviews and speak with consumers over the phone to vet their health care stories, research consumer information online to vet details of their story and enter consumer information in database
- Write and edit summaries of around 400-800 words detailing consumers’ experiences with the health care system, including quotes from consumers and relevant details about their experiences
- Assist in maintaining the story bank database and updating existing stories
- Manage and execute internal and external requests for storytellers by making recommendations as needed and ensuring timely responses to organizational requests and needs
- Draft content featuring storytellers may include but is not limited to: blogs, talking points, social media content, etc.
- Assist the Communications Department in carrying out duties, as needed
- Develop knowledge of health care policy and stay abreast of health care issues in the news. Incorporate information into fact-checking, story development, and interviews with consumers
- Oversee storytelling intern staff
- Help manage remote storytelling sites
Education and Qualifications:
- 4-5 years of related work experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field is required
- Ability to translate complex health care issues into digestible content for general audiences
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience with and appreciation for working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to discretely manage sensitive information
- Knowledge of health policy issues and communications preferred
- Bi-lingual capability is a major bonus (English-Spanish)
- Experience with databases and platforms such as Salesforce, Mailchimp, Meltwater or Cision is strongly preferred
To apply, submit a cover letter and résumé online via the link below. The salary will be $60,000 annually. Families USA offers a generous benefits package including excellent health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance benefits and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules. Families USA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified veterans and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. No phone calls, please.