Membership and Advocacy Manager
- Full Time
This full-time position is a unique opportunity for a socially conscious, media-minded individual that is dynamic, results-oriented and passionate about working with older adults. Senior Planet members are the lifeblood of OATS’ activities and include any individual that takes part in Senior Planet services, in-person or remotely. The organization prioritizes its members and is constantly seeking ways in which to involve the membership in its initiatives.
The Membership & Advocacy Manager will manage the organization’s membership activities, coordinate all social media channels, build momentum around organizational priorities and seek to generate an enhanced feeling of affiliation and belonging to OATS’ activities. Working with key OATS staff, the Membership & Advocacy Manager will contribute in the following ways to make a difference in the lives of older adults:
- Work with OATS leadership staff to define an organization-wide membership strategy.
- Develop messaging, monitor member engagement, and synthesize learnings.
- Work with program team to infuse elements of membership throughout all OATS offerings and provide opportunities for training staff to learn about the best ways to engage and retain members.
- Host annual membership drives and other convenings to help build the member base.
- Cross-pollinate membership messaging throughout the organization’s social media platforms.
Social Media Management
- Work, in concert with other OATS staff, to develop, define, and refine a comprehensive social media strategy for OATS.
- Create daily, weekly, and monthly content across the organization’s three main social media platforms in all program geographies - Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Organize frequent campaigns around organization-wide themes that build viewership and help push OATS’ social media activities beyond their current reaches.
- Monitor all social media channels, respond to inquiries, and explore opportunities to incorporate new social channels into the organization’s repertoire that could further expand OATS’ media reach.
- Use membership as a driving force on all social platforms to highlight impact and boost social media followings while simultaneously increasing membership levels.
- Develop and execute a strategy to build a vibrant base of older tech users who are actively engaged in ongoing program work and ad-hoc campaigns. Activities may include, phone banking, door knocking, focus groups, events, and other organizing tactics.
- Inspire and teach seniors how to advocate for the issues they care about most, including technology-related concerns.
- Maintain a database of older adults who can be called on for advocacy and other efforts.
- Outreach/program support
- Spearhead ongoing community outreach initiatives to foster interest among potential participants and enroll seniors into programs and membership.
- Build community partnerships through in-person meetings and attendance at community events.
- Document program successes, prepare and deliver written reports as required.
In addition to a passion for improving the lives of older adults and a deep understanding of social media management, the ideal candidate will have the following qualifications/characteristics:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- A dynamic personality and excellent presentation, interpersonal and communications skills.
- An affinity for technology and the ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Sound ability to work with diverse communities in an empathetic, comfortable and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to work as part of a team, yet take initiative and work independently.
- Creative, resourceful and strong problem-solving ability.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and meticulous about quality, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work on the weekend, if needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google apps.
- Ability to travel to all five boroughs.
- The salary range for this position is between $40,000-50,000 annually. OATS also offers a competitive benefits package for all full-time employees.
- Please send a resume and cover letter in .pdf format via the link provided. Put “Membership and Advocacy Manager” in the subject. Thank you!
Older Adults Technology Services (OATS) is an award-winning New York City-based nonprofit with a mission to “harness the power of technology to change the way we age.” Founded in 2004, OATS celebrates “aging with attitude” and is an innovative national leader in improving the lives of older adults by providing free access to mainstream digital technologies, free intensive and high-quality technology training, and the opportunity to join a thriving community of tech-enabled seniors who are improving their health, making social connections, strengthening their finances, engaging on civic issues, and embarking on journeys of creative expression and lifelong learning. OATS manages 23 community-based technology centers in neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs of New York, including the country’s first full-service technology-themed community center for people aged 60 and older, and publishes SeniorPlanet.org, a popular website focused on aging well with technology. OATS is committed to maintaining a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.