- Full Time
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Write and post breaking news stories to the newsroom website, KIROTV.com
• Publish social media updates to KIRO’s Facebook and Twitter accounts
• Monitor scanners
• Answer newsroom phones
• Make calls to people involved in news stories
• Dispatch field crews
• Assist other newsroom staff
• Assignment desk news coverage on a variety of shifts, including weekends and overnights, and especially during breaking news
Qualifications:QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work well with other managers in achieving newsroom goals
• Strong computer skills
• Must have good news judgement – the ability to take in all of our incoming news sources, including scanners, emails, phone calls and social media and be able to determine what is breaking news, future news, potential news and what is not
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Some college preferred
• Some experience on a major market assignment desk is required, at least 1 year of experience is preferred
• Knowledge of the Puget Sound region’s geography, politics and history is a definite plus
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.