Senior Associate, Digital Strategy
- Full Time
The Pew Charitable Trusts uses data to make a difference. For more than 70 years, we have focused on serving the public, invigorating civic life, conducting nonpartisan research, advancing effective public policies and practices, and achieving tangible results. Through rigorous inquiry and knowledge sharing, we inform and engage public-spirited citizens and organizations, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause. We are a dedicated team of researchers, communicators, advocates, subject matter experts, and professionals working on today's big challenges – and we know we are more effective and creative collectively than we are individually. With Philadelphia as our home town and the majority of our staff located in Washington, DC, our U.S. and international staff find working at Pew personally and professionally rewarding.
Wise stewardship of resources allows Pew employees to pursue work that strategically furthers our philanthropic mission in significant and measurable ways. We collaborate with a diverse range of philanthropic partners, public and private organizations, and concerned citizens who share our interest in fact-based solutions and goal-driven investments to improve society. Pew attracts top talent, people of integrity who are service-oriented and willing to take on challenging assignments. We provide competitive pay and benefits, a healthy work-life balance, and a respectful and inclusive workplace. Pew employees are proud of their colleagues, proud of where they work, and proud of the institution's reputation.
The Communications department supports leaders at all levels of the institution to promote project and campaign efforts, inform key audiences, and protect and advance Pew's reputation. The department provides a comprehensive range of communications services for all programmatic and administrative units and Trusts-operated projects. Our in-house expertise includes: strategy and message development; editorial support; design and creative services; media event planning; digital and video production; and social media. The unit oversees all communications policies, guidelines, and processes in order to ensure production of the highest quality work and effectively steward Pew's resources.
This senior associate position is located in Washington, DC and is a member of the digital team, reporting to a manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and execution of a variety of cross-channel digital engagement strategies for Pew programs. The ideal candidate will have experience developing effective, cross-channel digital strategies that drive engagement and achieve organizational results. He/she will actively partner with a team of communications, digital and creative strategists to develop and execute content marketing campaigns.
- Works collaboratively to enhance our approach to developing holistic content strategies for both programmatic and institutional objectives.
- In close coordination with VP, Communications and EU communications staff, acts as lead digital strategist for Pew's communications initiatives in the EU.
- Develop and execute audience development strategies that support both overarching and specific communications goals in the EU.
- As required, acts as lead digital strategist to support other communications initiatives and/or special projects focused on achieving institutional goals.
- Contributes to the planning and development of Pew's editorial calendar.
- Contributes to the advancement of Pew's approach to editorial and content strategy that effectively engages audiences across digital channels.
- Collaborates with other strategists, creative teams, earned and paid media experts, analytics lead, and program staff to develop compelling digital content plans.
- Develops and refines copy for a variety of digital content including social and email.
- Builds relationships with internal program teams and develop a deep understanding of program needs, goals, and priorities.
- Identifies new opportunities for achieving project objectives.
- Collaborates with design and video teams as well as other communications staff on the development of visual assets for all digital content.
- Contributes to the development of social media management standards, policies, and rules of engagement for social channels.
- Monitors real-time social media alerts for mentions of Pew and its campaigns, working with the digital strategy manager to take appropriate action.
- Keeps abreast of the latest digital trends to inform creative approaches as well as to aid internal knowledge sharing.
- Depending on campaign requirements, the senior associate can act as a day-to-day digital and/or functional lead on a variety of digital campaign activities.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of four years of professional experience with progressive responsibility for developing integrated digital strategy and campaign execution, preferably at a digital or creative agency, nonprofit or association.
- Ability to develop cross-channel digital content strategies that meet organizational goals.
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively to develop and refine creative ideas, build consensus, and influence decisions.
- Experience developing and executing issue-driven digital engagement campaigns designed to inform target audiences as well as recruit and activate grassroots advocates.
- Exceptional skill with written and verbal communications and ability to effectively communicate strategic recommendations.
- Deep working knowledge of the social and digital ecosystem, including working relationships with social platforms and partners.
- Strategic and hands-on understanding of the role that paid media plays in modern, cross-channel content marketing campaigns.
- Proven experience developing content concepts and then turning those concepts into effective, channel-specific copy.
- Experience presenting and articulating integrated digital strategy, including campaign goals, objectives, and how success is measured.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, juggle multiple projects, and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Can turn ideas into clear, actionable plans.
- Experience developing and conducting ongoing content performance tests and implementing optimizations.
- Hands-on experience with Google Analytics and the Facebook and Twitter pixels.
- Experience conducting conversation analyses with social media listening/monitoring tools such as Crimson Hexagon, Brandwatch, Nuvio, or Sysomos is preferred.
- Experience working with tools like CrowdTangle to identify relevant content trends and performance across social platforms, preferred.
- Experience with editorial and social media management tools such as Sprout Social or Hootsuite Enterprise, preferred.
- Ability to analyze data from all digital channels, drawing insights from the data to inform future recommendations and strategies.
- Exceptional judgment when working with team members, client contacts, and vendors.
- Must be willing to occasionally work a flexible schedule to ensure support for Pew's international campaigns and to provide support during breaking-news situations.
- Hands-on experience managing the tactical elements of paid media flighting across digital and social channels a plus.
- Experience with email software such as Eloqua or ExactTarget a plus.
- Experience with conservation issues a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish and French desired.
We offer a competitive salary and benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to maintain a good balance.
The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.