Director of Marketing and Sales, MIT Press
5 days left
- Full Time
The MIT Press (MITP), the leading university press of books and journals at the intersection of science, technology, art, and design, seeks a Director of Marketing and Sales to lead a 20-member team and maximize the impact and success of its publications in the global marketplace. The Director of Marketing and Sales reports to the Press Director, and the position is based in MITP’s Cambridge, MA offices. Relocation assistance is available if needed.
NOTE: MIT Press has engaged Jack Farrell & Associates (www.jackfarrell.com) to find the winning candidate for this position. Interested candidates should apply to John Hartnett.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Responsible for establishing overall marketing and sales vision and goals for trade / academic, book / journal / digital publisher with $25+mm in annual revenue.
- Develops and implements strategic marketing and sales plans and forecasts across the diverse book categories in which MITP publishes (trade, professional / academic, textbook and digital), the various market segments we target (retail, corporate, institutional, and course adoption), and the audiences we serve (domestic and International).
- Prepares annual marketing and sales budgets and performs quarterly performance assessments to ensure goal achievement.
- Directs a marketing and publicity team of twenty marketing 300+ new books and 40+ journals each year.
- Ensures the publicity team is achieving maximum impact for all titles especially those with trade market appeal.
- Comfortably negotiates the dual goals of aggressively marketing and selling the Press’s trade and textbook lists while also marketing the growing, mission-driven Open Access program.
- Works collaboratively with internal and external sales partners to drive laydowns, sell-through and course adoptions where appropriate.
- Relies on quantitative analysis to measure ROI of marketing spends, including and catalogs and collateral, to manage budget resources efficiently.
- Works with colleagues in Editorial, Design, and Production to create a look and feel to new products that meet MITP’s standards of excellence and match the vibrancy of our publishing program.
- Serves on MITP senior management cabinet, and liaises with marketing, communication and sales leaders at the Press and across MIT.
- Collaborates with the Editorial teams in books and journals to help drive product development and reflects the voice of market to key stakeholders.
- Recruits and develops talent as needed to create and sustain a team that aligns all sales and marketing actions with the Press mission; conducts performance reviews of direct managerial reports.
- Oversees the creation and dissemination of all print and digital marketing collateral and advertising in support of books and journals.
- Ensures the Press website is a sales-driven beacon for the Press.
- Encourages digital social marketing media as a robust means to drive sales and increase the conversation about MITP publications.
Supervision Received and Exercised:
This role reports to the Director of the MIT Press. Level of supervision depends on decision making skills and planning abilities of the successful candidate, but overall this individual is expected to function with minimal oversight.
All marketing, publicity, sales, communications, and promotions roles fall within this department.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required; advanced degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of marketing, communications and/or sales experience in publishing required.
- Track record of effective personnel management.
- Experience motivating and leading teams in a highly collaborative environment.
- Proven track record of success in marketing, publicity, or digital and social media marketing.
- Strategic thinker with facile skills needed to adjust to a fast-changing publishing landscape and a track record of successful business planning.
- Strong organizational and communication skills (speaking and writing).
- Some travel required.
The MIT Press welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. Candidates who have significant personal experience or engagement with low-income communities or communities that are underrepresented in scholarly publishing are strongly encouraged to apply.
** To comply with regulations by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.
Apply for Director of Marketing and Sales, MIT Press
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly