Deputy Bureau Chief – Washington D.C.
Location: Washington, D.C., Washington D.C.
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Responsible for leading the daily editorial process and giving direction to D.C. editorial teams and correspondents that delivers original reporting, breaking news and differentiated contentLead and coach editorial team including correspondentsDrive unique story angles, guide development of stories from conceptualization to completion while also ensuring full coverage on news of the dayPartner and communicate with other news group units (i.e. politics, national security, investigative) to maximize coverage as well as coordinate short and long term editorial planningWork closely with News Digital to integrate reporting across all platforms of NBC NewsWork closely with director of news gathering to ensure desk and editorial interests align with each otherEnsure the reporting aligns with NBC News standards and practices; provide source approval as neededParticipate in special projects, pitch fresh ideas, lead change initiatives and assist Bureau as needed
The Deputy Bureau Chief is a critical editorial leadership role for the NBC News D.C. Bureau. The role is responsible for working closely with D.C. based correspondents and reporters to guide, refine and hone their daily reporting for the many platforms of NBC News. The position is highly collaborative and will work closely with multiple editorial teams across NBC News & MSNBC.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum 10 years of expanding editorial experience
• Minimum 5 years of supervisory/management experience
• Must be willing to work in Washington D.C.
• Must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
• Exceptional news judgment
• 10+ years experience in an editor role in a high quality text/digital environment. Demonstrated ability to edit, guide and coach high profile reporters in D.C. based beats
• Familiarity with Washington beats and coverage requirements
• Ability to lead and foster teamwork
• Strong leadership and coaching skills
• Ability to manage a demanding, ever changing newsroom or beat
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to make decisions quickly in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
• Knowledge of NBC News Policies, Guidelines and Practices
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.