- Full Time
We’re seeking an experienced Executive Assistant to provide administrative and project management support to one of the Co-Founders and Co-Directors of AI Now, a growing and fast-paced university research institute. If you are super-organized, results-driven, responsive and adaptable, we want to hear from you.
About the AI Now Institute
The AI Now Institute at New York University is an interdisciplinary research institute dedicated to understanding the social implications of AI technologies. It is the first university research center focused specifically on AI’s social significance. Founded and led by Kate Crawford and Meredith Whittaker, AI Now is one of the few women-led AI institutes in the world.
AI Now works with a broad coalition of stakeholders, including academic researchers, industry, civil society, policy makers, and affected communities, to identify and address issues raised by the rapid introduction of AI across core social domains. AI Now produces interdisciplinary research to help ensure that AI systems are accountable to the communities and contexts they are meant to serve, and that they are applied in ways that promote justice and equity. The Institute’s current research agenda focuses on four core areas: bias and inclusion, rights and liberties, labor and automation, and safety and critical infrastructure.
AI Now is affiliated across six different NYU faculties: the Tandon School of Engineering, the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, the Law School, the Stern School of Business, the Center for Data Science, and the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences.
The Executive Assistant will provide day-to-day executive support to one of AI Now’s Co-Founder and Co-Director, Kate Crawford, while providing ad-hoc support to the organization’s leadership team. Doing this work well means thinking strategically as you triage demands on the Co-Founder’s time and the priorities of the organization. It also requires ongoing, proactive, and responsive communication with a broad range of internal and external actors.
Areas of responsibility will include:
- Extensive calendar management across multiple time zones
- High-volume, high-touch email management
- Coordination and support of complex travel itineraries
- Management of Co-Founder’s speaking engagements, including logistics coordination
- Meeting preparation (e.g. developing backgrounders and agendas, ordering food, setting up A/V, etc.) and note-taking
- Greeting visitors to the AI Now office space
- Drafting and editing correspondence
- Organization and maintenance of files and records
- Tracking tasks, time commitments, incoming requests, and deadlines related to Co-Founder’s responsibilities; communicating top priorities and making recommendations to ensure the best use of Co-Founder’s time
- Developing and iterating on systems and practices for task and project management related to these areas of responsibility
- Ad hoc tactical and administrative tasks for the AI Now leadership team
Annual salary is commensurate with experience. Additionally, we offer a competitive benefits package through New York University, including health coverage, dental and vision plans, and retirement, as well as generous paid time off and supportive parental leave policies.
- You have at least three years of relevant professional work experience, ideally in an administrative role supporting senior executives.
- You are driven by meaningful work, and aligned with AI Now’s mission
- You are a details-obsessed productivity champion; you are able to prioritize tasks across multiple projects and teams in a fast-paced environment and manage your time to meet milestones and deadlines.
- You are adaptable and resourceful; you provide proactive and preemptive solutions.
- You have impeccable written and verbal communication skills.
- You have extraordinary emotional intelligence; you’re invested in your personal development and appreciate working in a “feedback culture.”
- You have strong interpersonal skills and are able to build relationships with many different stakeholders.
- You have a demonstrated ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
- You are able to work independently and ensure you have the input and information you need to deliver results.
- You can work hard without losing your sense of humor.
- You are conversant in or willing to learn the key technology we use, including Google Drive and Google Apps, Apple OS, Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), Keynote, Slack, and social media platforms (mainly Twitter).
- You are able to work on-site at our offices in New York City.
Please submit your application via our online form. Be sure to include the following:
- A brief statement of interest: in 1 page or less, tell us about what interests you about the role, and how your experience and background would enable you to contribute.
- Your Resume/CV
- Contact information for two professional references (we will notify you before we reach out to them)
We will being reviewing applications on a rolling basis on April 30th, 2019. This position will remain open until it is filled.
New York University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. New York University is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its hiring and promotion process without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth (or related medical condition), sexual orientation, partnership status, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital, parental or familial status, caregiver status, national origin, ethnicity, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, or any other legally protected basis. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Data Protection Policy
AI Now strives to minimize data collection and limit use of data to the specific purpose for which it is collected. For job applications, we use a series of third party services to help store and organize applicant information. After our hiring process concludes, we save the minimal amount of data required for our HR compliance records and remove the rest. Unless compelled by legal process, we will never share any information we receive with any external person or entity. Should we receive any such legal process, we will attempt to notify the individual whose data is at issue if at all possible in a timely manner.