Associate Editor, History Media
- Full Time
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Associate Editor for its college history digital media team. The Associate Media Editor will be responsible for the effectiveness, quality, and timeliness of teaching, learning, and assessment resources that support textbooks in this area. This position will report to the Media Editor for History and the Editorial Director for Digital Media.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Understanding the relevant textbook markets in college publishing and the diverse needs of adopters and students throughout the country.
- Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically-useful and innovative content to be used in digital resources for teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues in media and print editorial, production, and permissions to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
- Recruiting, signing, training, and communicating with subject matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
- Soliciting feedback from the market, such as peer reviews, and incorporating this feedback into current and future editorial projects.
- With the help of an editorial assistant, managing projects in all stages of editorial development and production.
- Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and production vendors.
- Effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including sales representatives, the college department editorial board, and the advertising and marketing departments.
- Clearly documenting and communicating updates with all team members throughout the duration of a project.
- Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of, digital resources to fellow editors, designers, production managers, programmers, and software developers.
- Managing vendor selection, scheduling, and budgeting for digital work such as content coding projects.
- Maintaining and organizing digital files on appropriate servers.
- Creating product records and metadata and ensuring accuracy of product information in W. W. Norton’s various proprietary systems.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Must be able to work full business hours in Norton’s New York City headquarters.
- Prior experience in college publishing, ideally at least one and a half years in an editorial role.
- Subject matter knowledge of history is preferred, but not required. Applicants must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of electronic media as it applies to teaching and learning in the humanities.
- Must be highly disciplined and self-motivated.
- Must be comfortable managing complex schedules with multiple authors, dependencies, deadlines.
- Must be a proactive problem solver, able to seek out answers, propose solutions, and develop and improve processes.
- Must have a keen understanding of the teaching and learning needs of college professors and students.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Must have a “can-do” attitude and be proactive and flexible in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
W. W. Norton & Company, headquartered in New York City, is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.” For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.