TREAT TB Communications Associate
- Full Time
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non- communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and Multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific.
The Research Division of Vital Strategies is the principal recipient under a multi-year agreement with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) for TREAT TB (Technology, Research, Education and Technical Assistance for TB). The initiative seeks to contribute to new knowledge through field evaluations of diagnostic tools, clinical trials of priority research questions, and targeted operational research benefiting global, regional, and country TB control efforts. As part of its USAID-funded activities, the Division is currently implementing the STREAM clinical trial. The STREAM clinical trial is the first large-scale, multi-country clinical trial to examine shortened regimens for MDR-TB. It began recruiting participants in 2012 and is currently enrolling at clinical sites in Georgia, Moldova, Mongolia, Ethiopia, South Africa, Uganda and India.
The TREAT TB Communications Associate reports to both the Senior Technical Officer in the Research Division and the Senior Technical Advisor in the Policy, Advocacy and Communications (PAC) Division. The Communications Associate will be responsible for developing and implementing a communications strategy for the TREAT TB project and will work in close collaboration with the PAC Division in connection with the implementation of the strategy. The position will be a full-time position; however, a part-time position would be considered (no fewer than 3-days/week), if preferred by a strong candidate. The TREAT TB Communications Associate will be based in New York City. Applicants must possess a valid work permit to work in New York City.
- Write, edit and develop web stories, social media posts, and copy for materials
- Source and develop content with TREAT TB teams around the world
- Commission and produce engaging ways to tell the TREAT TB story through social media, website, fliers, newsletters, press and media, infographics, memes and animations
- Actively gather and write case studies and manage existing case study and photo archive
- Commission photography and film and manage post-production process
- Develop and update promotional materials and publications (brochures, web content and toolkits, fact sheets, one-pagers, digital assets) and other collateral material as needed
- Oversee the development of the TREAT TB booth for The Union World Conference and other activation opportunities
- Manage the TREAT TB website (treattb.org). This includes design and development changes to the site, creating and uploading content, managing the CMS, and building on the user journey
- Manage workflow of TREAT TB content for vitalstrategies.org andtheunion.org
- Draft and distribute press releases, as needed
- Monitor the effectiveness of the above with regular reports on social media, press and website reach
- Undertake other duties, when required
Qualities and Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in a communications-related field; Masters preferred
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in communications field
- Excellent writing, editing and copywriting skills
- Proven track record of developing and implementing communication strategies
- Knowledge of public health (tuberculosis preferred)
- Proven skills in working with designers and in designing and developing marketing tools
- Fluent in English (fluency in additional languages preferred)
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a global team
- Experience using WordPress CMS preferred
- Experience using Mailchimp, Photoshop and Smug-mug preferred
- Available to travel to and work with countries in different time zones
Please send your CV, cover letter and two writing samples in English, including your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with “TREAT TB Comms Associate” in the subject line of your email. The deadline for receipt of applications is May 30, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to be interviewed.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation for full-time employees and pro-rata for part- time employees based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partners; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits; and basic life and personal accident insurance.