Marketing and Communications Specialist
- Full Time
At Esalen, we believe in the profound impact of our collective human potential. It begins with being present. We bring that to everything we do. We don’t just build a table, we build a work of art that’s also a table. We don’t just say hello, we make eye contact and listen with intention. We feel the same way about our team members - showing up in support of their full being. We offer great health care, access to workshops, and the space to do your personal and collective work.
We stand for supporting you to realize your potential.
- This position will be instrumental in supporting Marketing and Communications in increasing awareness of, and fostering greater engagement with, Esalen Institute and its nonprofit mission to advance personal and social transformation. The Marketing and Communications Specialist will serve as a primary storyteller for the Institute, ensuring the Esalen brand and sub brands are effectively communicated through multiple channels including the Esalen Catalog, newsletter, website, social media, donor communications and appeals, and more. Additional communications activities may include staffing media visits to campus, project management of marketing projects, and internal communications initiatives. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with different personalities and work styles to achieve results. This full-time position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and requires an occasional presence on our main campus in Big Sur, California.
What will this role do?
- Identify, research, and write short and long narrative content, including testimonials, faculty profiles, and articles, that effectively capture the Esalen story for a wide range of stakeholders.
- In accordance with brand standards, conceptualize and write marketing collateral and online assets that attract and retain workshop attendees, donors, and other key stakeholders.
- Oversee editorial development and production of Esalen’s flagship catalog from workshop description through design and final production.
- Support short-time workshop and event enrollment needs through content marketing and other outreach.
- Support guest relations, when needed, through writing email and social media responses.
- Maintain and update the Marketing and Communications editorial calendar and voice/tone guidelines.
- In partnership with the Director of Marketing and Communications, assist with the development of new product launches and initiatives.
- Staff campus tours, including occasional visits by media and film crews.
- Manage and report on metrics behind trackable content in order to inform and adapt marketing activities.
Qualifications + Requirements + Skills
- Superior communications skills -- in writing and editing as well as ability to interview diverse individuals to develop compelling stories.
- Minimum of 7 years management or senior level responsibility in writing, editing, and/or communications.
- Experience with implementing brand standards into engaging and actionable content.
- Familiarity with, or willingness to learn, content management systems, social media platforms, and other tools to support communication needs.
- Understanding, appreciation, and enthusiasm for Esalen’s mission and its unique community.
- Proficiency in interpersonal relations and willingness to relate to others, to listen and hear concerns in a patient and supportive manner.
- General understanding of data gathering, data mining, segmentation, and mail list development.
- Ability to prioritize with multiple departmental needs, some with conflicting deadlines, with a patient but persistent approach.
- Independent work ethic to carry projects through to completion and implement solutions without constant supervision; ability and desire to explore and learn.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field.
- Willingness to travel to Big Sur at least once a month.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to sit for long periods of time, occasionally carry and lift up to 25 pounds and be able to perform daily repetitive hand motions as it pertains to computer mouse and keyboard.
- The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This role includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen gives teammates access to an extensive range of daily experiential classes (yoga, dance, tai chi, and meditation), ongoing in-house education and training programs, and scholarship for Esalen workshops and massage.
Esalen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.