Senior Editor: Wine, Spirits, Beer
- Full Time
About SevenFifty Daily
SevenFifty Daily is an award-winning online magazine focused on the business and culture of the drinks industry. We analyze the issues professionals are talking about, explore new insights and innovations, and promote work-life balance, enabling our readers to optimize their job performance and career potential. Covering the three trade tiers, we connect a global community of drinks professionals, creating a space for conversations and a platform for showcasing the people and ideas moving the industry forward.
About the Role
We're looking for a self-directed Senior Editor for SevenFifty Daily (sevenfiftydaily.com). The ideal candidate will be an accomplished editor with a wide network of industry contacts and experience assigning articles about wine, spirits, and beer, and the greater drinks industry—from the brands and individuals making the products to the people selling them (sommeliers, cicerones, bartenders, retail staff). The Senior Editor will be an integral part of our editorial team. You’ll help us shape stories, as well as assign them to a diverse pool of writers. You’ll join us in our quest to achieve the highest quality possible for every piece of content we publish—yes, your editing muscles are going to get a workout. You’ll help us generate multimedia ideas (podcasts, videos, etc). And you’ll help us keep SevenFifty Daily running like a well-oiled machine. And don’t be surprised if we express our gratitude for your great work by toasting with a glass of something tasty on occasion. This role will report directly to, and work very closely with, the Executive Editor. This is a full-time position based in Manhattan and comes with competitive salary, stock options, and benefits.
What you’ll do:
- Propose article and editorial package concepts focused on ideas and innovations in the drinks business.
- Manage weekly lineup for site content and longer-term editorial calendar.
- Assign and edit stories for daily publication, working closely with art director, copyeditor, and producer.
- Take the lead on developmental editing and line editing all content—across editorial and sponsored channels.
- Oversee photo production for stories, working closely with the producer and art director.
- Field public relations requests, general inquiries, and pitch submissions.
- Monitor industry news and regularly pitch trending and breaking news story ideas.
- Hire and manage freelance writers, seeking out a diverse lineup of expert voices.
- Attend regular industry events on behalf of SevenFifty Daily, posting to social channels as needed.
- Stay on top of competitive content and share relevant analysis and recommendations with the team.
- Pinch-hit on new projects as necessary.
Who you are:
- Passionate about the drinks business.
- Excited to tell us about your favorite wine, beer, spirit, or cocktail.
- Eager to learn, even if you already know a lot about this stuff.
- Curious and always looking for story leads and new voices from our industry to showcase.
- An exceptional editor and writer with solid grammar skills—an affinity for clean copy, em dashes, and serial commas is a plus!
- Dedicated to high-quality reporting and top-notch editorial, overseeing the publication of 3 to 5 longer-form articles per week, ranging from 500–2,500 words.
- Extremely organized and able to meet multiple daily deadlines while thinking ahead.
- An excellent communicator with the ability to interact positively with writers, social followers, readers, and internal teams.
- Tech savvy with experience working in a CMS, doing photo research, optimizing content for SEO, and using project management tools (Slack, Asana, G-Suite).
- Excited about a startup environment—as part of a small team, this role will be involved in all parts of running the publication.
- Detail oriented, with an aptitude for on-the-fly copyediting and fact-checking.
What you have:
- At least 5 years of experience working as an editor at a newspaper, trade journal, or consumer publication; journalism degree preferred.
- Experience working in some part of the beverage alcohol industry.
- Certifications from WSET, Court of Master Sommeliers, Cicerone program, or other drinks educational bodies (preferred).
- A can-do attitude.
What it’s like to work here:
- This is an onsite job in NYC (no remote applicants, please).
- We’re 50-ish people and growing, based in the Flatiron with a few remote colleagues.
- We are former hospitality professionals excited about shaping the future of the drinks industry.
- We like to take Pilates or spin, grab drinks, and eat good food together.
- We also enjoy happy hours, bake-offs, book clubs, game nights, and fun group activities.
Perks & benefits:
- Salary range between $75-90K annually
- Company sponsored medical, dental, and vision
- Meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation to rest and recoup
- Learning opportunities (like wine master classes!)
More About Us
An independent editorial publication, SevenFifty Daily is owned by SevenFifty Technologies Inc., an online platform modernizing the wholesale alcohol supply chain for buyers, distributors, and suppliers. The SevenFifty platform was created by beverage industry and technology professionals who were frustrated with the antiquated, pen-and-paper process that plagued the daily operations of the beverage alcohol trade.
SevenFifty improves product discovery for buyers at restaurants, bars, and retail shops by offering a first-of-its-kind, comprehensive database for sourcing, discovering, and ordering products from multiple distributors in one place. For distributors and suppliers, SevenFifty provides robust educational and CRM tools and the means to share complete portfolios with current and prospective buyers. Ultimately, SevenFifty increases transparency and accuracy of communications between the three tiers of the supply chain.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or socioeconomic status.
Please send a cover letter along with your résumé letting us know why this is the job for you.