- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an experienced editor to coordinate, organize and champion all parts of our 2020 election coverage.
This editor will help manage everything from special sections in print to the digital experience during primary and election nights to our biggest visual projects. That will involve working closely with the D.C. bureau, which will lead the coverage, to develop detailed coverage plans for primaries, debates and conventions. This editor will be a key bridge between the news and visuals team and Product, Design and Engineering in the development of new and innovative storytelling efforts.
The Elections Editor will report to the Coverage Planning Editor.
- Coordinate and connect election coverage across all teams, including News, Graphics, Photo, Video, Desktop, Social, Mobile, Publishing Desk, Print and PDE.
- Hold regular planning meetings with key stakeholders, and keep senior editors, including the Chief News Editor and Editor in Chief, updated on all coverage plans.
- Devise, implement and oversee digital coverage plans for debates, primaries and other big events.
- Collaborate with Graphics, Photo and Video to create and edit key election visuals. Examples from 2016 include the popular election calendar and a complicated double-truck election graphic in print.
- Shepherd/edit key sensitive visual projects and stories through the vetting process.
- Collaborate with PDE, Visuals, Platform/Off-Platform, and other teams to find new and innovative storytelling methods and homepage presentations, with a focus on primaries and election night.
- Coordinate with Washington, U.S. News and Print on special sections. In 2016, this included an 8-page election section in January and expanded print sections during election week. This involved design, editing, layouts, graphics and preparing content for online.
- Partner with the Marketing and Advertising teams to keep them informed on key events and projects, and review and edit all marketing material related to the election.
- Build and drive consensus across teams for projects and coverage plans.
- Experience managing large projects in a newsroom, or equivalent
- Excellent news judgment and previous experience as a reporter or editor
- Proven ability to work on big, multifaceted journalism projects across print and digital platforms
- Ability to communicate seamlessly between technical and non-technical contributors, as well as senior leadership
- Excellent organizational skills using Google tools, Slack and Microsoft Office
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience building consensus and motivating different personalities and teams
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines
- Some travel to bureaus required
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 16856